• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Toe issue and possible yellow fungus

Noichnaf

Bearded Dragon Egg
He is not grumpy or aggressive and does not display any signs of being in pain. He still cuddles with me. He walks normally and I do agree his tank is too small.

Once I get my tax return I will be buying him a much larger tank. I did rearrange his tank to give him more space. And also I bought a contraption from the pet store that you can hang the heat lamp and uv bulb on.

Also I give him plenty of time to run around and I also set him on his pillow by the window for a while so he can bask and observe the outside window.

Attachments

• 20220130_181409.jpg
    20220130_181409.jpg
    713.9 KB · Views: 13
  • 20220126_164315.jpg
    20220126_164315.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 10
  • 20220122_145757.jpg
    20220122_145757.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 14

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
He is not grumpy or aggressive and does not display any signs of being in pain. He still cuddles with me. He walks normally and I do agree his tank is too small.

Once I get my tax return I will be buying him a much larger tank. I did rearrange his tank to give him more space. And also I bought a contraption from the pet store that you can hang the heat lamp and uv bulb on.

Also I give him plenty of time to run around and I also set him on his pillow by the window for a while so he can bask and observe the outside window.
Hi there can you post pics of the dragon where you think its YF and the pic of his toes / toe in question please- also the tank looks really nice what size tank is it? Also the flooring you have in the tank is it real smooth? If it is I would get something in there w/ some texture so hes not sliding all over -- and your UVB your using is it in a dome or is it a long tube fixture please ?

Noichnaf

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hi there can you post pics of the dragon where you think its YF and the pic of his toes / toe in question please- also the tank looks really nice what size tank is it? Also the flooring you have in the tank is it real smooth? If it is I would get something in there w/ some texture so hes not sliding all over -- and your UVB your using is it in a dome or is it a long tube fixture please ?
The yellow fungus issue was addressed earlier in this thread, luckily it wasn't fungus. I use tube uvb. The flooring is not slippery, I purchased it from a bearded dragon shop online. It is custom tile. And it's a 36 × 18 tank.

Attachments

• 20220207_135728.jpg
    20220207_135728.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 15
  • 20220207_135809.jpg
    20220207_135809.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 16

Noichnaf

Bearded Dragon Egg
If you zoom in on the flooring in the pic you can see it has some texture to it. He has no issues walking on it.

Noichnaf

Bearded Dragon Egg
Are you using a MVB?
No I just looked up the definition for that because this is my first time hearing that term. I use a 100 watt heat bulb; and a T8 uv tube bulb, the package does say this bulb has mercury in it.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
No I just looked up the definition for that because this is my first time hearing that term. I use a 100 watt heat bulb; and a T8 uv tube bulb, the package does say this bulb has mercury in it.
Ok I didnt see a long tube fixture --- if it is on the screen it needs to be under your screen or have it sit width wise 6-8 inches next to the basking bulb - T 8's are not strong enough to go thru screen and if its 6 months or older please change it out-- they expire --- as far as the toe it looks like it got snagged in the hammock and was injured - I can have some one look at it that can maybe help w/ some advice on how to treat - my recommendations is that you exchange it out for a cloth or a fleece hammock -- we see more injuries w/ the toes and legs from these hammocks that are made out of mesh etc
www.pamperedbeardie.com

Noichnaf

Bearded Dragon Egg
Ok I didnt see a long tube fixture --- if it is on the screen it needs to be under your screen or have it sit width wise 6-8 inches next to the basking bulb - T 8's are not strong enough to go thru screen and if its 6 months or older please change it out-- they expire --- as far as the toe it looks like it got snagged in the hammock and was injured - I can have some one look at it that can maybe help w/ some advice on how to treat - my recommendations is that you exchange it out for a cloth or a fleece hammock -- we see more injuries w/ the toes and legs from these hammocks that are made out of mesh etc
www.pamperedbeardie.com
Yes I have the screen removed for the bulbs to go through. I just switched the uv bulb a few weeks ago. Thanks for the tip on the hammock, I will get him a cloth or fleece one asap! They should really take these other types of hammocks off the market!!! Thanks again.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Yes I have the screen removed for the bulbs to go through. I just switched the uv bulb a few weeks ago. Thanks for the tip on the hammock, I will get him a cloth or fleece one asap! They should really take these other types of hammocks off the market!!! Thanks again.
I had some one look at his toe and this is what she said
The toe doesn't need any treatment, they get mangled sometimes but as long as it's not red, black + obviously infected there's not much you can have done for it. It shouldn't impact him too much.

Noichnaf

Bearded Dragon Egg
The toe doesn't need any treatment, they get mangled sometimes but as long as it's not red, black + obviously infected there's not much you can have done for it. It shouldn't impact him too much.
Okay thank you so much, that makes me feel much better!

Noichnaf

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hello. I took him to the vet again last month for a second opinion and they agreed it was probably stuck shed on his toe that caused it to become swollen. Although he is not specifically a reptile vet, he did think that the toe was falling off.
Well, it fell off tonight. And I thought I should give him his chlorhexidine soak that the vet advised for the yellow patches on his belly, thinking that would be good for disinfecting his wound.

It started bleeding after a couple minutes of the soak though, so I took him out. He was also trying to lift his foot from out of the water as well so I feel it was causing him discomfort.
I live about 3 hours from a specialized reptile vet, should I attempt to set up an appointment with them (which could mean a long wait time) or go to my local vet as soon as they have availability? There is an emergency vet 3 hours away and I'm wondering if I should take him there tomorrow.

Noichnaf

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hello. I took him to the vet again last month for a second opinion and they agreed it was probably stuck shed on his toe that caused it to become swollen. Although he is not specifically a reptile vet, he did think that the toe was falling off.
Well, it fell off tonight. And I thought I should give him his chlorhexidine soak that the vet advised for the yellow patches on his belly, thinking that would be good for disinfecting his wound.

It started bleeding after a couple minutes of the soak though, so I took him out. He was also trying to lift his foot from out of the water as well so I feel it was causing him discomfort.
I live about 3 hours from a specialized reptile vet, should I attempt to set up an appointment with them (which could mean a long wait time) or go to my local vet as soon as they have availability? There is an emergency vet 3 hours away and I'm wondering if I should take him there tomorrow.

Attachments

• 20220425_195855.jpg
    20220425_195855.jpg
    935.4 KB · Views: 6

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club

Ok please get some raw unpasteurized honey on the toe- that will keep infection away - I am sending your post to the vet tech and I am hoping she responds tonite