• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

To Hold or Not to Hold...???

Bulldog53

Bearded Dragon Egg
I've had Wally for about a week now. He is a baby and he's rarely in the mood to be held. I tried the first couple of days I had him and was about to hold him a few times and did so for about 10 minutes each time. If I try to hold him and he runs runs away then I may try another time but will not continue to try because I do not want to stress him out and for him to think I am trying to attack him.

I have seen mixed ideas on holding your beardie when you first get them. I've seen that you should hold them and slowly increase the time until they are used to being held. I've seen another thing that said you should not hold them for the first month or 2 to allow for them to associate you feeding them with you being their friend and provider and not a big scary predator.

What is the community thought on holding?

CrazyLeopardGeckoLady

Juvenile Dragon
In my opinion is more about the owner, if you feel like he's getting used to everything well then try to hold him
I did that with my leopard geckos (I've never owned a baby beardie I have an adult) and my girls are very social and happy, I started to hold them the day I got them and my youngest will crawl onto my hand

Bulldog53

Bearded Dragon Egg
He seems to be used to everything pretty good. He's active and has been eating very good. I haven't tried to pick him up much lately. Just been reaching in and rubbing his head and body so he will get used to me.

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
I used to reach in and pet and hold Luci in his tank for a little bit. Once he got used to me holding him I'd increase the time I held him until I felt I could get him out of the tank and he wouldn't try to run. I also did this later in the day when he started to get sleepy so his defenses were down.

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Yep Izzy was chill from the very beginning and I've been able to hold her on my chest without her wanting to get away.. So I think it is up to each individual and how you think they are doing. I hand fed alot as a baby and that strengthens your bonds.. If they are flighty then keep it to small times in the tank then progress to more time and out of tank. Keep in mind they are fast so don't put your guard down :) a fall from heights can hurt them .

Valiant

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
I have a baby and he used to be very aggressive. Biting, hissing, and running away from me. Some things that helped me to gain his trust are: I held him for a bit in the morning and warmed him with my hands while petting his head and back. He loves this. I also took him out of his tank and feed him in a seperate container to teach him that he has to be held to get the food. (Greens stay available in tank, but crickets and worms are feed in container) When he hissed and opened that mouth to bite me, I would place a little bit of greens in his mouth to eat. Took about two months of work but he is now excited to see me and will stay still to be picked up. Hold him a few times a day but when he starts struggling to get down don't set him down. He will associate struggling with freedom and will do it more.

Latest posts