• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

To Chirp or not???

117star

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
I have searched for awhile now trying to find anythng on beardies vocals. My kids claim they have heard Scarlet "chirp" like a bird. I have not heard her make any noise at all. So my question, do beardies make any noise as in vocal sounds?

Dragonsx6

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
I have searched for awhile now trying to find anythng on beardies vocals. My kids claim they have heard Scarlet "chirp" like a bird. I have not heard her make any noise at all. So my question, do beardies make any noise as in vocal sounds?
We have 6 dragons and never heard any of them make any noise. The only chirping we ever hear is the crickets from their keeper in the cupboard below my vivs. Could just be they heard a Cricket, but as they couldnt see it presumed it was Scarlet :)

117star

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Well the crickets we have do not make any noise, I guess they are breed them to be silent. So I have not heard a sound other than them moving around in the keeper from the crickets. I told them (kids) it could be a cricket that came in from outside and is hiding in there somewhere. Like I said I have yet to hear this mysterious chirp. I will keep my ears perked and keep you guys posted. I have no idea what it is but I didn't think it was Scarlet.

Dragonsx6

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Well the crickets we have do not make any noise, I guess they are breed them to be silent. So I have not heard a sound other than them moving around in the keeper from the crickets. I told them (kids) it could be a cricket that came in from outside and is hiding in there somewhere. Like I said I have yet to hear this mysterious chirp. I will keep my ears perked and keep you guys posted. I have no idea what it is but I didn't think it was Scarlet.
The crickets I have are supposed to be silent too - I think I have only had totally silent ones about twice in all the time we have had our Dragons lol. :D

117star

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
The crickets I have are supposed to be silent too - I think I have only had totally silent ones about twice in all the time we have had our Dragons lol. :D
Really, ours so far have been chirpless, LOL I did hear the noise in my daughters room this morning and it is most def a cricket. I am guessing it is one from outside as I make sure the others DO NOT GET OUT!!!!! If she doesn't eat them all I puth them back in the keeper. I will have to hunt it down when I have time.

117star

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
never believe that they are all silent! LOL females ( yes even animal ones) make lots of noise the noise is usually a mating call! If they dotn make any noise then they cant let the male know they are waiting to mate :) As far as i know beardies have no vocal cords and i have never heard any of them make a noise nor has anyone i know. Ive worked with them in a shop. Think kids are either hearing things or been watching to many films with beardies in where they talk in movies lol!
It's a cricket.... i heard this morning.

Dragonsx6

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Really, ours so far have been chirpless, LOL I did hear the noise in my daughters room this morning and it is most def a cricket. I am guessing it is one from outside as I make sure the others DO NOT GET OUT!!!!! If she doesn't eat them all I puth them back in the keeper. I will have to hunt it down when I have time.

As much as I try my best to keep them all in the keeper too I do occasionally find the odd escapee. The only time I can think of that they have the chance to escape is when I am transfering them from the tubs they come in to the keeper, and they usually come out when I am sitting watching tv on my own after everyone has gone to bed lol - I hate trying to catch them, but I'm now becomming a dab hand with the tongs :oops:

117star

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
over here in oz land.. not sure about anywhere else.. small and medium seem to be pretty quite but the large crickets are very noisey
They told me at the store that they breed these to be slilent. And like I said they haven't made a sound other than the the noise of them moving around. And I buy the biggest ones I can get.

117star

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
As much as I try my best to keep them all in the keeper too I do occasionally find the odd escapee. The only time I can think of that they have the chance to escape is when I am transfering them from the tubs they come in to the keeper, and they usually come out when I am sitting watching tv on my own after everyone has gone to bed lol - I hate trying to catch them, but I'm now becomming a dab hand with the tongs :oops:
Ours come in abag and I just dump them into the keeper. Now the worms I bought came in containers but those are in the fridge. That kinda grosses me out but i suppose I will get used to sharing the space next to the meatloaf with the worms.... :eek:

117star

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Have to admit tho, after a while you really dont notice it, and when I do hear them it reminds me of holidays, sitting by a pool side with a little tipple enjoying the warm night air :) - can you tell it's near holiday time for me :D
We have crickets here almost all year round. So I really don't notice when I go outside. But as it starts to cool off outside they try to sneak inside and every now again they make it and then they truly do drive me crazy. It's just funny that this one made it all the way upstairs to my daughters room where we happen to have a creature that would snap it up in a blink if she got the chance. I really hope I catch it first as i do not want Scarlet eating anything that came from outside not knowing where it has been. We don't use any pesticides in our yard but I have no idea what my neighbors do in theirs. So better safe than sorry.

117star

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
crickets when they escape or get in your house seem to be able to live forever lol! im sure they live on dust under the floor. In my other house we heard 1 in Oscars room and looked and looked, decided it/they must have gone under the floor - for months we heard them at 3am lol!
117 if you get silents all the time with none of them singing your very lucky lol!
LOL, we had one that lived under our kitchen cabinets in our old house years ago. There was no way to get the darn thing and it too would keep us up all night. It's song seemed to echo through our entire house. I actually hunted down the 3 that were keeping my kid up at night. They were hiding under the basking rock thing as it is hollow up unside. I dumped them out and they were instantly punished for keeping both my daughter and Scarlet awake at night. Needless to say they will not be bothering us anymore. Also a word on the "silent" crickets. I think that as they get bigger they chirp. The 3 that were hiding under the rock were most def larger than they were when I dumped them in there. So maybe they are only silent until they get to a certain size??!! These three have been silenced for good :)

ajandj

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
be really careful about leaving crickets in the enclosure. When the lights go out and the enclosure cools down, those nasty little critters turn on your BD and start eating him. beardies can't feel it as they are cool. There's a thread in here with pics of the damage done..

117star

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
be really careful about leaving crickets in the enclosure. When the lights go out and the enclosure cools down, those nasty little critters turn on your BD and start eating him. beardies can't feel it as they are cool. There's a thread in here with pics of the damage done..
Jane, I knew about this and trust me they were not left in there intentionaly. I had no idea the bottom of that plastic rock was hollow. I think they may have come from her previous owner actually as I try not to feed her in her living quarters. I have a 10 gallon that I put her in and then toss the bugs in there. When she is done I take her out and put the leftover crickets back in the keeper. I am feeling blessed that non of them had nibbled on her. Especially with the burn not entirely healed up on her lips. What a yummy spot for them to chew on. As mentioned above once I found them they were instant lunch, LOL. Thanks for pointing this out though as I am sure there may be a lot of peeps out there that didn't know crickets can turn your beardie into a meal.

Dragonsx6

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Jane, I knew about this and trust me they were not left in there intentionaly. I had no idea the bottom of that plastic rock was hollow. I think they may have come from her previous owner actually as I try not to feed her in her living quarters. I have a 10 gallon that I put her in and then toss the bugs in there. When she is done I take her out and put the leftover crickets back in the keeper. I am feeling blessed that non of them had nibbled on her. Especially with the burn not entirely healed up on her lips. What a yummy spot for them to chew on. As mentioned above once I found them they were instant lunch, LOL. Thanks for pointing this out though as I am sure there may be a lot of peeps out there that didn't know crickets can turn your beardie into a meal.

This is the link for the post on crickets biting
http://www.beardeddragonforum.com/index.php?threads/cricket-bites.4429/#axzz1ZIWUvEdZ
It was one of my girls that the post is about. Thankfully she is on the mend, but we are now 8 weeks down the line and the wound is still healing. She is back to normal tho :)

CitrusStoli

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
I have this really fun unique way of dealing with escapees, for me it's do nothing. They are normally dumb enough to crawl into my tegu's enclosure lol. I don't see to many of them leave though, eventually he finds them all.

117star

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member

Latest posts