• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

To adopt or not?

Alyssa Martin

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hello!

I've never owned a Bearded dragon but have done a but of research around them.

So here's the question.

My dad's girlfriend has a total of 3 bearded dragons and has realized that she simply doesn't have the energy or time for all of them.

So she has offered that I have a female (she has 2 females and 1 male) plus a 40 gallon tank, lights, and she would buy the food.

I'm not to concerned about cost or time since I work from home and am homeschooled as of current.

Should I adopt this bearded dragon (given more research) and what is your biggest advice for someone going into the bearded dragon ownership role?

I am going to (should I adopt) make her a new cage out of melamine for christmas. Probably 4' 2' 2' would that be appropriate? She seems big for the 40 gallon breeder.

I also will be feeding dubia's as a staple (if that's ok) since I already will have a colony for my frogs I keep. She is being fed superworms right now as a staple.

Also what would be the best kind of bedding? She's on sand right now and I've heard some big controversy on that. (She is full grown.)

How much interaction do they usually need during the day? She could hang out with me during homework or go to the park, so time isn't huge but I'd like to know.

Thanks!
Alyssa

Tasalyn

Bearded Dragon Egg
I have had 3 beardies and I’ve adopted all of them! I think bearded dragons are awesome companions.

I can’t give you much info on diet, my beardies eat mostly greens, veggies and fruits and the occasional horn worm or super worm (they’re adults so they don’t need much protein like younger bearded dragons)

I prefer the reptile carpets because my beardies eat inside their tank, so I don’t want them ingesting sand and causing impaction (but if you plan on feeding them outside the tank, sand is usually fine). I also like the reptile carpets because they’re easy to clean! I keep two for each of my tanks and every time they poop on it or get it dirty, I switch them out and throw the other in the wash.

I have two males, so I can’t hang out with both of them at the same time. I will hang out with them while I’m doing my homework and keep an eye on them. It always depends on your beardies personality too! One of my guys is super adventurous and will get himself stuck and lost in the weirdest places and my other guy just runs around in open areas.

I take them outside sometimes, but one of the last owners for one of my boys never took him anywhere so outside is really scary for him. We’ve been taking small steps on being comfortable outside. Again, it’s all about your beardies personality!

Owning bearded dragons is such an awesome experience though. I definitely think that you’ve done your research and you know what they need which is so so important.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Alyssa Martin

Bearded Dragon Egg
I have had 3 beardies and I’ve adopted all of them! I think bearded dragons are awesome companions.

I can’t give you much info on diet, my beardies eat mostly greens, veggies and fruits and the occasional horn worm or super worm (they’re adults so they don’t need much protein like younger bearded dragons)

I prefer the reptile carpets because my beardies eat inside their tank, so I don’t want them ingesting sand and causing impaction (but if you plan on feeding them outside the tank, sand is usually fine). I also like the reptile carpets because they’re easy to clean! I keep two for each of my tanks and every time they poop on it or get it dirty, I switch them out and throw the other in the wash.

I have two males, so I can’t hang out with both of them at the same time. I will hang out with them while I’m doing my homework and keep an eye on them. It always depends on your beardies personality too! One of my guys is super adventurous and will get himself stuck and lost in the weirdest places and my other guy just runs around in open areas.

I take them outside sometimes, but one of the last owners for one of my boys never took him anywhere so outside is really scary for him. We’ve been taking small steps on being comfortable outside. Again, it’s all about your beardies personality!

Owning bearded dragons is such an awesome experience though. I definitely think that you’ve done your research and you know what they need which is so so important.

Thanks for your fast reply!

I did forget to mention in my post that I would feed greens daily. So bugs don't need to be feed super often then? I was aware that the babies needed mostly bugs but I was under the impression the adults would continue eating bugs often.

I'll have to look into that a bit more! Thanks!

So the reptile carpet works well? Glad to hear that. You don't have any issues with their nails on the carpet? I've heard some people say that they can get caught for other reptiles so I'm just curious.

I don't know if she's every been outside, since my dad's girlfriend is the second owner (that we know of) so I'll be the third. I guess we'll see what she likes then! I know she likes to hang out anf wander a bit but she's pretty chill.

That's awesome to hear you have three bearded dragons and all adopted! I've heard they make great pets but I've never actually thought of owning one until now.

Thanks so much for your reply!
-Alyssa

Tasalyn

Bearded Dragon Egg
Thanks for your fast reply!

I did forget to mention in my post that I would feed greens daily. So bugs don't need to be feed super often then? I was aware that the babies needed mostly bugs but I was under the impression the adults would continue eating bugs often.

I'll have to look into that a bit more! Thanks!

So the reptile carpet works well? Glad to hear that. You don't have any issues with their nails on the carpet? I've heard some people say that they can get caught for other reptiles so I'm just curious.

I don't know if she's every been outside, since my dad's girlfriend is the second owner (that we know of) so I'll be the third. I guess we'll see what she likes then! I know she likes to hang out anf wander a bit but she's pretty chill.

That's awesome to hear you have three bearded dragons and all adopted! I've heard they make great pets but I've never actually thought of owning one until now.

Thanks so much for your reply!
-Alyssa

Of course!
I had so many questions when I got my first beardie, it’s definitely a learning experience!

I haven’t had any problems with their nails on the carpet, I cut their nails when they get pretty sharp. I also have wood climbs and decor in their tanks (I’ve found it to be most convenient and they like it better than the plastic) and the wood also keeps their nails trimish. One of my beardies actually loves to cuddle in things so I got him some baby blankets and his nails haven’t effected the blanket at all either!

So I adopted my other beardie from a lady who rescues dragons, and she has a roach colony too, but she doesn’t feed her adults as many roaches or protein as she does greens. Just because they aren’t growing anymore and it’s harder for their body to process is the way I understood it.

And with the outside, my little guy who has experience with being outside, he doesn’t care for it. He prefers to be inside. It just depends on their personality and it so fun getting to know them!!

I’m glad I’m able to help! I had to do so much research when I got my first one and it’s nice to be able to talk to people with personal experiences!!

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
My adult dragons get salad every day and bugs every 3 days. Dubia are a fabulous bug, I would add some variety every now and then. Crickets, super worms, hornworms, BSFL are good. Basically all the same things you probably already feed your frogs.

I would stay away from making a melamine enclosure and use a hard wood. Oak, birch, maple. Melamine is pressed wood and can leach toxins if heated.

I personally use a combination of tile and non adhesive shelf liner in my tanks. The tile helps to keep the nails trimmed down. and the easy to clean. If you go the repticarpet route, have 2 on hand so you have an extra when you are cleaning one.

My dragons love hanging out with me when they can. They really do have great personalities. I have 2 girls and a boy and each one is different and great! When I take them out, I have a leash for them because even though they are chill and content with sitting on my chest, they can get spooked outside and run away.

Alyssa Martin

Bearded Dragon Egg
Of course!
I had so many questions when I got my first beardie, it’s definitely a learning experience!

I haven’t had any problems with their nails on the carpet, I cut their nails when they get pretty sharp. I also have wood climbs and decor in their tanks (I’ve found it to be most convenient and they like it better than the plastic) and the wood also keeps their nails trimish. One of my beardies actually loves to cuddle in things so I got him some baby blankets and his nails haven’t effected the blanket at all either!

So I adopted my other beardie from a lady who rescues dragons, and she has a roach colony too, but she doesn’t feed her adults as many roaches or protein as she does greens. Just because they aren’t growing anymore and it’s harder for their body to process is the way I understood it.

And with the outside, my little guy who has experience with being outside, he doesn’t care for it. He prefers to be inside. It just depends on their personality and it so fun getting to know them!!

I’m glad I’m able to help! I had to do so much research when I got my first one and it’s nice to be able to talk to people with personal experiences!!

Thanks so much for your reply! You've been a large help in my decision process :)

I believe that she has a wooden perch that she comes with if not I'll get her one :) I have some nail trimmers from my gerbils from a few ago (they passed of old age) so I could put those to use as I know her nails are pretty sharp. That's adorable about the blankets!

I get what you mean about the bugs now. Thanks for clarifying! That works to my favor since it's a relatively small colony at the moment.

Ya I can't wait until I figure out her personality! I've seen her a few times but haven't really gotten a feel for her personality just yet!

THANKS

Alyssa Martin

Bearded Dragon Egg
My adult dragons get salad every day and bugs every 3 days. Dubia are a fabulous bug, I would add some variety every now and then. Crickets, super worms, hornworms, BSFL are good. Basically all the same things you probably already feed your frogs.

I would stay away from making a melamine enclosure and use a hard wood. Oak, birch, maple. Melamine is pressed wood and can leach toxins if heated.

I personally use a combination of tile and non adhesive shelf liner in my tanks. The tile helps to keep the nails trimmed down. and the easy to clean. If you go the repticarpet route, have 2 on hand so you have an extra when you are cleaning one.

My dragons love hanging out with me when they can. They really do have great personalities. I have 2 girls and a boy and each one is different and great! When I take them out, I have a leash for them because even though they are chill and content with sitting on my chest, they can get spooked outside and run away.

Sounds perfect! We get bulk mixed green and have veggies and fruits laying around always. I definitely will keep a variety of bugs on hand, my local reptile store carries just about anything in the big feeder world.

I'm so glad you mentioned the melamine! I watched a few videos on DIY cages and they so used melamine specifically for bearded dragons. But that's totally ok, I've got a few hardware stores and my dad works construction so maybe he'll have some spare pieces.

Hmm many options for the floor now. I actually have some flooring I might be able to use. It's vinyl I believe (I'll research that) that we have from building our house so maybe I could use some of that?

I can't wait to find out her personality! I love hearing about everyone else's because everyone's different. I will definitely get a leash for outdoors, my local store has some handmade ones that are very cute :)

Thanks so much!!!

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
Don't use anything too slippery for the flooring. You want something that they will be able to somewhat grip without slipping.

Alyssa Martin

Bearded Dragon Egg
Don't use anything too slippery for the flooring. You want something that they will be able to somewhat grip without slipping.

I see, then the flooring may be to slippery them. Nails can did into it, however I think it might be to slippery. Will look into other options :)

Latest posts