• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Tint of black beard almost all the time

Mortyy

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hello im new here but i am on the tortoise forum, anyway getting to the point my girl Morty has a constant tint of a black beard i’ve only had her for a couple days and she seems to be happy anyone know any reasons why? (I’ll upload some photos when I get home, making this on the bus to school)

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Hello im new here but i am on the tortoise forum, anyway getting to the point my girl Morty has a constant tint of a black beard i’ve only had her for a couple days and she seems to be happy anyone know any reasons why? (I’ll upload some photos when I get home, making this on the bus to school)
Please post the pics it will help figure out what is going on

Mortyy

Bearded Dragon Egg

Attachments

• 9B7534D5-89F1-4296-835E-A59F17A09392.jpeg
    9B7534D5-89F1-4296-835E-A59F17A09392.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 8
  • FAE85B68-3647-4949-8BCC-B66B096D592A.jpeg
    FAE85B68-3647-4949-8BCC-B66B096D592A.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 7

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Ok here are the pics
His beard is fine -- looks like coloring -- if he had a black beard it would be really black and it would stand out --- you must have correct lighting for him meaning NO colored bulbs NO coil UVB's and correct basking temps taken w / a digital probe thermometer -- if you need help w/ any of this please ask and we can help

Mortyy

Bearded Dragon Egg
His beard is fine -- looks like coloring -- if he had a black beard it would be really black and it would stand out --- you must have correct lighting for him meaning NO colored bulbs NO coil UVB's and correct basking temps taken w / a digital probe thermometer -- if you need help w/ any of this please ask and we can help
Ok thanks so much i was really worried! Are compact uvb bulbs alright? Because that’s what we have

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Ok thanks so much i was really worried! Are compact uvb bulbs alright? Because that’s what we have
NO they are terrible -- you need to get a long tube fixture -- for a 40+ gallon tank I recommend a 24" fixture w/ a reflector and depending on the height of that tank depends on the bulb -- for a 16" height tank you would need a Reptisun 10.0 T 8 for a 18" height tank a Reptisun 10.0 T 5 -- these bulbs have distance and placmement requirements -- I would suggest you get this changed out ASAP --- Zoo Meds make good fixtures -- they will come w/ a 5.0 bulb that is equivalent to a T 8 -- you want the 10.0 bulb

Mortyy

Bearded Dragon Egg
NO they are terrible -- you need to get a long tube fixture -- for a 40+ gallon tank I recommend a 24" fixture w/ a reflector and depending on the height of that tank depends on the bulb -- for a 16" height tank you would need a Reptisun 10.0 T 8 for a 18" height tank a Reptisun 10.0 T 5 -- these bulbs have distance and placmement requirements -- I would suggest you get this changed out ASAP --- Zoo Meds make good fixtures -- they will come w/ a 5.0 bulb that is equivalent to a T 8 -- you want the 10.0 bulb
Ok I’ll see if i can get that

Mortyy

Bearded Dragon Egg
Definitely need to get that as soon as possible, it is a priority. Your bearded dragon WILL get metabolic bone disease with out it!
We got this girl from the humane society and they said she already has MBD so we're trying our best to help with that, sorry for the late reply

Bailey

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
We got this girl from the humane society and they said she already has MBD so we're trying our best to help with that, sorry for the late reply
No worries, it will just worsen even if she already has it.

I recommend this uvb fixture and bulb, the linear ones do the job the best.
Click here to buy a ReptiSun T5 10.0 Linear UVB Light

You can also use Arcadia lights but I have no experience with them.

Bailey

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
I see thanks so much, i found one of those bulbs at my local pet store but no hood thing
I always order the hood and bulb from amazon together, and then it also comes with an extra bulb. The bundle is $95 but you only need to buy it once per year, as two bulbs should last you the entire year.

Mortyy

Bearded Dragon Egg
I always order the hood and bulb from amazon together, and then it also comes with an extra bulb. The bundle is $95 but you only need to buy it once per year, as two bulbs should last you the entire year.
Ah i see, also one last thing how often should i change my uvb bulbs?

Bailey

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
Ah i see, also one last thing how often should i change my uvb bulbs?
every six months :) *they do go bad after this time period.

By bad I mean they stop producing as much ultraviolet b which could lead to a whole string of medical issues.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
The correct UVB will help it from getting worse --- you want the T5 -- a 24" fixture w/ a reflector -- 10.0 bulb the 24" fixture comes w/ a 5.0 which in her case would not be strong enough --- its considered a T 8 -- distance and placement for these 2 bulbs is different --- you can try www.petmountain.com or www.pangeareptiles.com for this bulb and fixture -- last I saw tho they were out of stock ---

Mortyy

Bearded Dragon Egg
The correct UVB will help it from getting worse --- you want the T5 -- a 24" fixture w/ a reflector -- 10.0 bulb the 24" fixture comes w/ a 5.0 which in her case would not be strong enough --- its considered a T 8 -- distance and placement for these 2 bulbs is different --- you can try www.petmountain.com or www.pangeareptiles.com for this bulb and fixture -- last I saw tho they were out of stock ---
Ah do they ship to canada?