• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Time to replace UVB bulb?

BeardieBaby

Juvenile Dragon
Hi everyone! I got my Baby in the middle of August and I was told you are supposed to change the UVB bulbs every 6 months because they lose their effectiveness...I already have 2 more at my house and I was thinking of changing it this week...I know technically December will be 6 months but I'd rather be safe than sorry. Is this the correct thing to do?

Mungi's Buddha

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
There are more factors that come into play when determining how often you need to replace the UV bulb like how you have it mounted and how far it is away from your dragon for instance. Generally if your UV light is above the screen you start out with up to 50% of the UV being put out by the bulb being filtered out by the screen. As the bulb ages the length of penetration shortens so you will need to replace them every 6 months to make sure the UV is getting to your dragon and still in sufficient amounts.
On the other-hand if you mount the same UV bulb inside the tank and under the screen so that it is not filtered by the screen then you start off with getting the benefit of the full unfiltered UV output of the bulb and you can replace them once per year as the manufacturers suggest.
As far as changing them out more often than necessary that would be really a question of how deep your pocketbook is because of their cost..lol

Here is the a cheap and quick way to mount the light inside your tank that will save you a lot of money and give your dragon the benefit of full UV which will make him and your bank account both happy:)

This is a $10 dollar 18" under cabinet mount light fixture available at Walmart that can be attached easily and quickly with a hot glue gun to the inside wall of your tank about an inch below the rim so that you can still slide the screen shut. You can add a piece of heavy-duty aluminum foil like I have done in the pic to reflect and direct the UV directly at your basking spot. Done like this in Mungi's 40 gallon Breeder tank his ReptiSun 10.o bulb is good for a year:)

UVmountOne600x486_zps91a9ad00.jpg

Hope this helps!
Enjoy!!

BeardieBaby

Juvenile Dragon
Thanks Mungi! I just have a quick question, can you explain to me more about the tin foil idea? I don't really understand where I put it on the bulb and I can see it a little in your picture but I wouldn't know how to direct it so it goes on the basking spot. I do have it mounted inside the tank, and if I can get the bulb to last a year with tin foil I am all for the idea!!! Just need a few more detailed instructions doing it if you don't mind telling me! Thanks! :)

Mungi's Buddha

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
Hopefully you can see it better in this picture. It's very simple. I just take a piece of heavy duty aluminum foil and fold it in two to make it stiffer. You want to fold it so the shiny side is out. That way it will reflect the light. The center part of the bulb is what you want to reflect as hat is where the majority of the UV comes from so you dont have to have foil behind the entire length of the bulb.
Then I just slip the foil behind the bulb in the fixture and form a reflector like you see in the pic and bend the foil so that the light is aiming at my basking spot. You dont have to glue the foil or anything as it will just sit in the fixture on its own.
Takes two minutes to do.
Let me know if you have any probs or still don't understand and I will try and take more pics.:)

UVmountThRee600x466_zpsfb7ebd8a.jpg

BeardieBaby

Juvenile Dragon
Thanks!!!! You explained it great! When I replace my bulb(which will be VERY SOON) I will also get some tin foil and try it myself and then I'll take a picture and you can tell me if I did it right! Awesome, thanks!:)

Latest posts