• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Tiles

ladyknite

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I'd like to know who here uses tile as their substrate?
I'd also like to know your honest opinion of it, whether you use it or not.

beardielover17

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I use tile for 1 enclosure. I chose tile because at the time of building this enclosure I was fairly new to keeping beardies outside of the "pet store ways" and thought tile would be my best bet since there's no risk of impaction and was simple to clean. I wasn't around enough to watch Magellan to feel comfortable using a particle substrate or even half particle substrate and I wasn't too knowledgeable at the time to feel comfortable enough to use particle substrate.

My opinion on it is that it is a good "beginner/lazy person's" substrate (I mean lazy in the nicest way lol). I did a comparison a while ago on substrates and I did pros and cons to everything I ever used. Despite the tile being one of my favorites, I found cons to it too.

It does not cushion falls therefore an injury is more likely (which is why most don't recommend it for Frills). It also suppresses natural behaviors like digging and creating their own hide spots, may initially make gravid females stressed since they cannot find a suitable place to lay eggs both fertile or infertile until a laybox is provided. If I could I would love to tear down Magellan's tank and do it differently. I would offer half tile half dirt or dirt/sand mixture. The tile half would be raised so that it tracks little to no particle substrate on it.

To make up for the lack of digging area I will let Magellan dig around in the extra soil I had from Frank's enclosure and let him dig until his heart is content.

Vesta

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
I use tile and I love it. Easy clean. I pop it in the oven every so often and kill anything that might be living on it, cool it down and stick it right back in. Also keeps those nails filed.

renich

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Interesting! Pop it in the oven. And all those times I pulled it out and scrubbed it....live and learn!

Yes, I used tile. Went from sand to tile. It gave a much neater look and we loved it. No more sand storms on the glass walls. Bernie seemed to adapt to it just fine too.

Vesta

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Renee I wash them too. But most aren't too bad. I just did not like the idea of using cemicals on the tiles. So I fill the sink with water. Stick the tile in. Wipe it with a rag and pop it in the oven.

zebraflavencs

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Tiles everywhere... sealed with silicone.. Steam cleaned monthly, spot cleaned daily as needed..

ABRAXIS

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
I also use tiles throughout the enclosure. Does look nice,easy cleaning and no risk of impaction Craiger as for injury, I've put a fluffy toy on the most hazardous spot, the viv has three different levels, that serves as a 'crashpad' in case Sykes gets a bit adventerous and decides to 'bungi jump' without a cord. The only drawback about tiles, especially if you have used as much as I did, DO NOT TRY TO MOVE THE VIV, IT'S DARN HEAVY!!!!

li

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I used sand for many years. Bought this "beach sand". Was the best stuff. Cost me a small fortune. Never a piece of stick or rock in it. But, every time I had to pick up a poop or clean it, I had an asthmatic attack. So between that and the push at the time for non-particle substrate I changed to tile. So...my honest opinion, although I went to the tile and it was easier on my for cleaning and it looked great, I really think that Spyro missed his sand. Of course he got used to the tile, but digging just wasn't the same. I still will always recommend a non particle substrate because of the impaction issues, but if somebody really wants to use sand (regular wash sifted, not calci-sand), I always say go for it. I will definitely state that there is a chance of impaction problems and non particle takes that chance away, but as long as sand is properly taken care of it is okay to use especially if feeding in another space is used.

zebraflavencs

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
zebraflavencs said:
Tiles everywhere... sealed with silicone.. Steam cleaned monthly, spot cleaned daily as needed..
That said.. ever wonder what is under that tile ? *shivers*.
Really wish I hadn't of "sealed" that in..

li

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
zebraflavencs said:
zebraflavencs said:
That said.. ever wonder what is under that tile ? *shivers*.
Really wish I hadn't of "sealed" that in..

Yeah I didn't seal mine in. I put them in snuggly, but I wanted to be able to get them out. You wouldn't believe what gets under there. I used to pull mine up monthly and clean under.

crypticdragons

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I used tile for a long time. I have also used sand and excavator clay and am currently using newspaper. My experience with til was problematic at best. It created extreme amounts of dust and filed their nails far to much. Sand and excavator clay were more "natural" but near impossible to keep clean. I now use newspaper as it is cheap, easy to replace when soiled, andI honestly have not found a single con for my applications.

Vesta

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
OH MY Brian. You must have been using a different type of tile than I am using. I see no dust at all. And their nails are just fine. Maybe mine are not as active as yours.

Red Ink AUS

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
I have 2/3 tile 1/3 sand in my BD tank (reluctantly), I am one of those people Candice speak of lol. I don't have the time these days to be maintaining a full sanded viv. My boy has gotten older as well so I switched to the set up I have now about 18 months ago. I still prefer a non tiled enclosure but I just aint got the time.

Disadvantage of the tiles in my melamine viv is the heat retention i get from them. I don't mind the look of them. They raise my air temps a bit and I have a hard time cooling the viv during the summer heatwaves. I often resort to switching all lights off and trying to induce torpor during the heatwave days/weeks.

Tiles are easy to clean though and a good beginer substrate.

ladyknite

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Interesting. So, they’re easy, aesthetically pleasing and adaptable for most people. For a few years, I thought the same thing. And first I should probably apologize to Lisa for making that recommendation.

I used tiles in the past. But honestly didn’t like them. I just couldn’t put my finger on why. I tried building enclosures where I grouted them in, I tried laying them loosely in tanks and nothing seemed to satisfy whatever was nagging me. I had temperature issues and my dragons weren’t cooling off at night like they should. But there was still something else. So, out they went.

Over the next 3 years I collected enclosures and tiles (still in place) from people who had dragons pass away for unknown reasons, not assumed to be related to age. None of these enclosure were made of melamine, all were glass. Some tiles were loosely laid, some were grouted, some were caulked. Upon receipt of each, they were sent to the laboratory for bacterial testing. All cages were kept presumably clean and routinely disinfected.

Stachybotrys bacteria existed on the pourous side of all tiles examined. Not to mention the various other bacterim located including aspergillus, streptococcus pyogenes, Klebsiella pneumoniae and a few more. Any of those sound familiar?

The testing isn’t completed yet, but there’s enough information to maybe suffer thru a few questions.

li

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Gina....Absolutely no need to apologize. I never did a neocropsy so i don't know what Spyro actually died from. I never did or never would put blame on anybody. Tiles were the way to go. Have you ever done these tests on other tanks with different substrate.

ladyknite

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I have had tests run on enclosures with particles substrates consisting of sand, topsoil and a marketed product. The tests do all record some variable bacteria, but none that is typically lethal if regular cleaning is performed. Some believe that a certain amount of natural bacteria promotes balance and stimulates natural immunities we seem to be taking away.

Black mold is lethal in any and all senses, and although my tests (not to mention the affordability of them) aren't complete, I thought that this information was somewhat important to bring about to some skilled eyes. I suppose I consider this group will now look at respiratory issues in a more concerning way and possibility relate that to substrate, not so much humidity.

I wonder if there will ever be any really kind people out there that'll give me their nice melamine enclosures with grouted in tile to rip apart and send to the lab? I think that may be the most important one yet.

li

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I guess we as "keepers" have a lot to think about. What is truly important when it comes to the caring and care of our beardies.

staylor

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I use tile in both my vivs. I have mixed reviews on it. In one tank I love it. The tiles are easy to clean, look good. For the other viv, I used a different tile and not a fan of it. It is still easy to clean, looks good but the small crix I have to feed some how make their way under the tiles on the edges and I have to pick the tiles up to get out about 1/3 of the crickets I drop in out so he can finish his dinner.

SerenityAppeals

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
we are changing to tile substrate ....Zuki (newly named lol) was on coco husk with her previous owner.... we threw that out yesterday and now she is on paper towels.... we are going to home depot tomorrow.... we are doing the same for Pasha (leopard gecko).

I don't like the loose substrate b.c fly bugs are breeding in it + the risk of impaction.

Latest posts