• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Tile Substrate Question

reptile_fan_chris

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Hi all,

I am going to use tile as my substrate, my question is can I put a layer of sand under the tiles? I am thinking of using the sand to add a hill on one side of the enclosure, and having 6x6 tiles over the whole thing so isn't just a flat surface. Has anyone tried this or have any opinion about this idea?

Josh

Administrator
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
The problem with sand is ingestion and impaction. It's hard to keep your beardie from swallowing sand. Once he does it can get stuck in his gut.

LittleMerlin

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
What I did with Merlin's tank, my gecko, was put paper towels under the tile. When I clean the tank, I change the paper towels out so it doesn't get moldy or anything like that.

Latest posts