• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Tile Questions

ericm.palacios

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Hello everyone,
I want to put some tile down in my beardies viv, but i'm not 100% sure on how to go about it.

Do they need to be grouted in place? If not what do you use to secure them?
And do crickets get in the seams easily if grout is not used?

Thanks in advance!

zebraflavencs

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Hi there.
I have tiles, and I sealed them in.. Wish I hadn't done that. If you have the tiles cut, so they fit snugly into the bottom of the enclosure, that lessens chances that crickets can get under them. Also, if you don't seal in, you can remove them and give them a thorough cleaning weekly, and spot clean when soiled daily.

Also, I have heard of folks placing paper towels under the tiles to absorb fluids, easily removed and tossed as needed.

Hope this helps.

staylor

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I have tiles in my vivs. I did not grout them in so I can take them out and clean them. I put paper towel under the tile to soak up liquid that goes in the cracks of the tiles. As far as crickets getting under them, it depends. In one viv the tiles fit too tight so there was a little gap from where they did not lay flat on the side so I just took a knife and shoved some paper towel in the hole to block it up, but this was only a problem with the little crickets. Once the crix I was feeding were bigger they could not fit in the tiny gaps. In the other viv the tiles have pretty good gap along the edges of the viv so the tiles lay flat and the crix can not get under and Oscar learned to look there for crix and picks them out. This is kind of confusing but hope it helps.

renich

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
When we went to tile, we did not grout them in. We did papertowels underneath. We took the tiles out weekly for a cleaning along with replacing the papertowel. I didn't have a problem with crickets getting underneath.

Home Depot has a cutter on site. If you have your measurements, they can cut the tile for you. Make sure you go with a ceramic tile that has some roughness to it. Smooth tiles are slippery for a dragon to walk on.

crazyeye72985

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
should i do tile for Lady Gaga? right now she has carpet that we got with the tank. shes just a baby right now. i thought about doing sand when she got older, but i see everyone is using tile instead. (im not doing anything yet she is still young, ill wait till the new tank) i have a 10g tank now.

staylor

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
crazyeye72985 said:
should i do tile for Lady Gaga? right now she has carpet that we got with the tank. shes just a baby right now. i thought about doing sand when she got older, but i see everyone is using tile instead. (im not doing anything yet she is still young, ill wait till the new tank) i have a 10g tank now.
I would recommend getting a larger viv now since a 10 gallon is very difficult to keep the temps right and is small even for a baby. A 20 gallon only last a baby till about 4 months. Once you do move to the a 40 breeder, or larger if you choose, I would recommend tile but it is a personal choice. I find the tile is very easy to clean and would never use anything else. However when Piggy was a baby I used just paper towel. She would poop and I would take out just the dirty part and put a new piece in. It made for really easy cleaning since she pooped so much as a baby, some times up to 3 times in a day, of course as she got older and ate less she pooped less and at that time I changed her to tile.

crazyeye72985

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
staylor said:
crazyeye72985 said:
I would recommend getting a larger viv now since a 10 gallon is very difficult to keep the temps right and is small even for a baby. A 20 gallon only last a baby till about 4 months. Once you do move to the a 40 breeder, or larger if you choose, I would recommend tile but it is a personal choice. I find the tile is very easy to clean and would never use anything else. However when Piggy was a baby I used just paper towel. She would poop and I would take out just the dirty part and put a new piece in. It made for really easy cleaning since she pooped so much as a baby, some times up to 3 times in a day, of course as she got older and ate less she pooped less and at that time I changed her to tile.
im actually not sure if its a 20 or a 10. i believe a 10g.

kickside

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
You should definitely use tile:)
It looks great, super easy to clean and not too expensive.

BigDaddyDragon

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
I put a thin layer of sand underneath my tiles. It holds them snug, and can be removed if needed. But now that I see that everyone is using paper towels, that seems like a much better idea. Thanks to the OP for starting this thread!

Latest posts