• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Thinking about getting a bearded dragon..input needed.

Lynz1889

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Hi,

I am seriously considering getting a bearded dragon. I have been interested in them for a long time now, but I haven't made the commitment yet. I have been researching them a little bit. Like how to care for them and the things you need to provide them with a good habitat, I am here hoping that someone who has a beardie and has been successfully caring for one for a while could provide me with some good information and tips on how to care for a beardie and the things needed to provide a good habitat??
Any input is greatly appreciated. :)

Jp

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Hey Lynz,

If you decide 2 get a Bearded Dragon, I promise u, u won't regret it. They are very docile animals that really do enjoy human interaction.
Getting the enclosure set up correctly is very important & easy if you are given the correct advice, many 1st time dragon owners are
misinformed during their purchase & are often talked into buying unnecessary items. If you do decide 2 get a dragon, I highly
recommend you find a reputable breeder to help insure that u get a healthy animal. Most breeders will show you pics of the parents
& the housing of their dragons as well as give you genetic details & the diet they've been providing for their stock & hatchlings.
Starting out with a bigger enclosure saves you money in the long run, I would recommend a 40 gal. minimum or something that
measures around 3'x2'x2'. This will save you from buying a bigger enclosure as your dragon reaches adulthood & the stress that usually
occurs when a change is made with its enclosure. Temperature is very important for a bearded dragons digestion & overall health.
Every enclosure should have a hot & cold side, hot side 95-110 & cold side at 85, this allows the dragon 2 thermoregulate (adjust its
own temperature). When it comes 2 lighting I recommend ZooMed bulbs, they have a more consistent output, the Reptisun 10.0 & a
basking bulb is all you need but these bulbs should be changed every 6-8 months.
Dragons should also be provided with calcium 4 times a week & vitamins 3 times a week, which can be applied to live food or veggies.
As far as diet goes, here's a link that will definitely come in handy www.beautifuldragons.com/Nutrition.html
I can go on & on and I probably would if I didn't have such a crappy day but it's time to chill, I'm sure someone can add to what I've
said & hopefully they do because I didn't mention substrates, hydration, digital thermometers, D3, MBD or a few other things.
I did provide you with the necessary basics though, when u get your dragon, check back in with us & we'll get you started.

Josh

Administrator
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Jeff with the homerun response! Thanks Jeff!

Welcome Lynz! You'll definitely want to keep reading around here on BDF and make sure you decide on the last few items Jeff mentioned. We've got a great community of dedicated dragon owners who are more than happy to help! :)

Latest posts