• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

The Transportation For Small Baby Reptiles Pets

Cece Skinner

Bearded Dragon Egg
ReptileContainer
I posted some picture that my Baby bearded dragon was transported in from Petsmart.

Attachments

• IMG_1220.JPG
    IMG_1220.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 64
  • IMG_1221.JPG
    IMG_1221.JPG
    2.3 MB · Views: 67
  • IMG_1222.JPG
    IMG_1222.JPG
    2.3 MB · Views: 62
  • IMG_1225.JPG
    IMG_1225.JPG
    2.1 MB · Views: 58
  • IMG_1226.JPG
    IMG_1226.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 47
  • IMG_1227.JPG
    IMG_1227.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 41

Cece Skinner

Bearded Dragon Egg
Here are some more pictures of my New Baby Bearded Dragon

Attachments

• IMG_1212.JPG
    IMG_1212.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 45
  • IMG_1213.JPG
    IMG_1213.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 43
  • IMG_1216.JPG
    IMG_1216.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 44
  • IMG_1217.JPG
    IMG_1217.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 42
  • IMG_1218.JPG
    IMG_1218.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 45
  • IMG_1219.JPG
    IMG_1219.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 42
  • IMG_2171.JPG
    IMG_2171.JPG
    4 MB · Views: 50
  • IMG_2172.JPG
    IMG_2172.JPG
    2.8 MB · Views: 43
  • IMG_2174.JPG
    IMG_2174.JPG
    2.6 MB · Views: 41

Germ

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I posted some picture that my Baby bearded dragon was transported in from Petsmart.
Have a look and see what you think of it.
Looks to be a normal take home container, unsure of the point of your query :confused:.

You have your baby on a particle substrate that looks suspiciously like Crushed Walnut Shell.
Crushed Walnut shell is a very dangerous substrate for BDs. Here is my favorite quote on the subject:
Crushed walnut shell is dangerous and should only be used to clean up oil spills. This substrate is NOT digestable and if too much of it is eaten it will cause impaction. I have seen this occur first hand with reptiles ranging from lizards to tortoise. Stay away from this product please.
- Jeremiah "Podunk" Jaeger
Here is also a Graphic visual of the results of ground\crushed walnut shell as a substrate.
http://mrskingsbioweb.com/beardeddragngrossanatomy.htm
Beware of commercial substrates that state they are “dragon safe” as many are not. Avoid wood chips, crushed walnut shell, coconut fibre, cat litter, pet beddings & rabbit pellets, or any similar substrates as they do pose a higher risk of potential harm.
Read More: http://www.beardeddragonforum.com/index.php?threads/basic-bd-care-sheet-a-place-to-start.5177/
BDs less than 10" long, nose to tip of tail, should not be on any particle substrate of any kind. For someone who claims to be an expert on their care, it seems that you may be making what are in my opinion, some poor choices.

Other than that, congrats on the new acquirement, it is a cutie. Hopefully you will let yourself open to some of the helpful advice that has been offered to you by many of the forum members, for the health, wellbeing & overall benefit of your new pet.

Cece Skinner

Bearded Dragon Egg
Actually it's sand and not walnut shells. I would of got chip bark bedding but I didn't have money to get it. I already had the sand. So, no I would never consider this to anyone that is a new owner. I'm just trying different thing to see if it works or not. It a test to the bearded dragon. Thanks for the feed back. It's in the 30% in Albuquerque, NM. It's very cold here indoors and outside. The weather here changes alot.

Germ

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Trying something different, that you may get away with, but puts your tiny BD in serious danger if it fails. Bark Chips are also another dangerous substrate, particularly for a BD that small. These are not guinea pigs or test specimens. After many keepers failures & losses of their BDs over the years since the start of the Hobby, trying something different, against the norm or tried & true methods, just so they can say they beat the odds, with many failing, the general consensus is that any BDs under 10" in length, should not be kept on particle substrate of any kind.

It's -26C (-15F) outside here tonight, but we use an invention we call a 'furnace' to keep our homes reasonably consistently heated ;) .

gilliesexotics

Super Moderator
Staff member
Germ has made some really good points. Please dont dismiss them and do what has been tried over and over again as a good safe way to raise a young dragon.

Pat B

Super Moderator
Yes indeed....Germ is one of our moderators here on BDF and trust me....he knows his 'stuff'. Your beardie is beautiful but I would definitely not use sand as a substrate while he is tiny. Wait until he is 10" or so. Use something like paper towels, tile, slate etc etc etc.... It is too easy for the beardie to get an impaction and then you will have really big problems. 'We' are here to help so come back often and ask away with questions and concerns....:rolleyes:

Cece Skinner

Bearded Dragon Egg
Trying something different, that you may get away with, but puts your tiny BD in serious danger if it fails. Bark Chips are also another dangerous substrate, particularly for a BD that small. These are not guinea pigs or test specimens. After many keepers failures & losses of their BDs over the years since the start of the Hobby, trying something different, against the norm or tried & true methods, just so they can say they beat the odds, with many failing, the general consensus is that any BDs under 10" in length, should not be kept on particle substrate of any kind.

It's -26C (-15F) outside here tonight, but we use an invention we call a 'furnace' to keep our homes reasonably consistently heated ;) .

Germ,

Actually I am going to change it out today and put reptile carpet or Tile. Which I never used before. I used for the bigger dragon with Bark Chips for bedding a long time ago, that worked great. No worries about the bedding. Everything will be ok. I kinda forgot about the Walnut bedding. No I know why. Thanks for the reminder.

Cece Skinner

Bearded Dragon Egg
Yes indeed....Germ is one of our moderators here on BDF and trust me....he knows his 'stuff'. Your beardie is beautiful but I would definitely not use sand as a substrate while he is tiny. Wait until he is 10" or so. Use something like paper towels, tile, slate etc etc etc.... It is too easy for the beardie to get an impaction and then you will have really big problems. 'We' are here to help so come back often and ask away with questions and concerns....:rolleyes:

Thanks for your feed back. Like I said it was the only thing I had already. Now I am changing it today. Anyway everything will be ok.

Pat B

Super Moderator
The nice thing about tile is that the poo is easy to clean up and keeps beardies nails filed down. I tried repti-carpet but the poo wouldn't clean up as well. I used slate tile for a while and then when Spike was old enough I changed it to sand. He loves it after he got used to it. My thoughts were that the sand would be more like his home environment. Your beardie needs to be 10", nose to tail before using sand if that is what you want to do. Nice looking beardie by the way.

Latest posts