• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

The effects of carbohydrates on a cold blooded system

zebraflavencs

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Recently, I saw a post suggesting soy yogurts as a probiotic for dragons.
Something about that sorta twigged me, so I asked around, and did some digging.

Here are some interesting facts I found.
Also please, I would appreciate any input as well as being directed to further studies.

What I found thus far:
http://www.answers.com/topic/digestive-system

In particular this paragraph caught my eye.

"Substantial numbers of bacteria can be found in all segments of the gastrointestinal tract, but the highest numbers are present in those segments in which digesta are retained for prolonged periods of time at a relatively neutral pH. Indigenous bacteria help protect the animal from pathogenic microorganisms by stimulating immunity and competing for substrates. They also convert dietary and endogenous substances that are not digested by endogenous enzymes into absorbable nutrients. Many species of indigenous bacteria can ferment sugars, starches, and structural carbohydrates into short-chain fatty acids. The short-chain fatty acids, which are predominantly acetic, propionic, and butyric acids, are readily absorbed and serve as an additional source of energy. These bacteria also synthesize microbial protein and the B-complex vitamins that may be useful to their host. The contributions of indigenous bacteria to the production and conservation of nutrients are greatest in herbivores. Although it has been estimated that short-chain fatty acid absorption provides 4% of total maintenance energy requirement by dogs and 6–10% of the maintenance energy required by humans, they can account for 30% of the maintenance energy of rabbits and up to 70% of maintenance energy of horses and ruminants. See also Bacterial physiology and metabolism."

Then I found this:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Basal_metabolic_rate

Now mind you all this tends to deal with warm blooded species.
I would like to take this to cold blooded species.
Thanks,
Janie

zebraflavencs

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
lol... You all read that 20 times and no one commented ? Did I go over into the "twilight zone" ?
Janie

Red Ink AUS

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Alright, I can't say I am of any expert when it comes to bacterial culturing as well as the inner workings of the digestive system. I have read through the info (briefly it's only 9:00am Monday morning here to early even for my geeky brain). From what i know of bacterial culturing you need a certain amount of sustained heat in order to get them to culture. The articles relate towards endotherms and as such reptillia are ecotherms. I'm not to sure how well a cross over would translate to it Janie in the sense of using bacterial cultures designed to amalgamate into an endotherm specimen when given to an ecotherm.

My concern with the yogurts would be not so much the pro-biotics in them but also other bacteria and cultures in them that may or may not harm an ecotherm. The reptilian digestive system is far stronger than an endotherms as digestion depends on temperature from an outside source when they are cold there are enzymes in the digestive system that slows down the digestion (does not stop but slows). Putting an influx for bacterial matter designed for endothermic digestion may have an adverse effect on this.

Anyway just my thoughts and unfortunately I am at a lost for references for you apart from just checking ecothermic digestion and cross referencing it with info you have.

sara

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Janie,
I too have read about using soy yogurt for a probiotic,but have never tried it.I have read about this since before I got Alf. I would be afraid to try it because I know very little about a dragons digestive system and would be afraid of causing problems. I would be curious to know any info.

pscaulkins

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
I have heard about soy yogurt. They used to say Soy was good for you but for some people taking certain thyroid hormones it binds to them and pulls it out of the body so they are become low on the hormone that keeps me functioning.

I know a lot of people that recommend soy yogurt for probiotics but don't know if it is any good.

zebraflavencs

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
It appears that since there is no funding for research on carb effects on cold blooded species, I won't find any kind of documentation.
So this leads me to think I either need to be more vested in the digestive system of dragons, and the noted effects, or just let things lie.
I am loath to do the second. But due to lack of finances at this time limits me.
Janie

ladyknite

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I guess i'll make my comments here.

Carbs, are essentially sugars.

First, you need to have some sort of understanding how a monogastric system works. Second reptiles do not store fats subcutaneously, it's stored in the organs. There's not alot been documented on insulin production, and most is kept in science journals, yet to be published. With that said.........here's what we do know:

Blood glucose values are variable for each species and may remain increased for as long as 1 wk after a meal. Blood glucose is increased during breeding seasons, especially in males. Clinical hypoglycemia has been reported in captive bred reptiles. Signs include mydriasis, tremors, opisthotonos, loss of the righting reflex, and death.

Latest posts