• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

That time of the year... Starting brumation

milo0

Hatchling Dragon
Who else's BD looks like they're getting ready for brumation? My BD today was looking especially sleepy and went into hide, something he rarely does anymore. He ate a little bit but hasn't been eating much lately, so I'm thinking he's getting ready to go down for the count soon. Today was one of our coolest days yet this month and his cage temp can be raised/lowered depending on the outside weather, so I think he sensed that and instincts are kicking in. I'm gonna try to fatten him up a bit before he goes down- that means extra roaches and a wax worm treat.

Anyone else's BD starting brumation now?

DudleyDragon

Bearded Dragon Egg
Mines down for the count. He went out this time last year too. And it lasted too long. I hate the brumation cycle cause they are inactive for so long. But when we got him he was starting so its built into him now.

TEAMGREEN5252

Bearded Dragon Egg
Do all beardies go into brumation? This is my first winter with BD and mine doesnt seem to have any interest in going down. He still eats like a pig and is up every morning wanting out.

ravenwolf

Juvenile Dragon
this is my first winter with my 3 and they don't seem to be showing much interest, guess we'll see when the cooler days start to kick in though

gilliesexotics

Super Moderator
Staff member
A few things play a part in triggering a bru.
1. If they have been in a bru before. More than likely as that time of year rolls around again they will repeat the process.
2. If the rooms temps or house temps are affected by the weather. As the temps fall this will trigger them.
3. Age: I have heard of young dragons going into brumation but i have no personal experience with under a year dragons going into brumation. My room is affected by the temps outside. So they will naturally go with our seasons here in Indiana. Typically they do not brumate till they are 1-2 years old.

TEAMGREEN5252

Bearded Dragon Egg
here is my new idea on this...my house is 82 on average...he hates his tank right now...he jacks it up every night for the last 3 nights and is wide awake in the am when we get up like he hasnt slept all night which isnt normal for him!! so this am when he came out to eat he ate and crawled under my snake cabinet and has been asleep ever since. well over 12 hours now today...this is not his norm...my thoughts are its warmer in his tank and he wants the cooler temp and wants to bru. im gonna leave him alone tonight and see if he stays asleep and if so problem solved i guess if not there is nothing he can get into or nothing that can hurt him.

Latest posts