• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Terracotta tiles - safe or nah?

Snowyowl953

Bearded Dragon Egg
Greetings!

I recently moved Ellie to an 85gal enclosure and I switched her mat to terracotta tile. I disinfected them with boiling hot water before putting them in there.
However, while they seemed like a good solution, now I’m wondering if I screwed up… I see plenty online about ceramic tile being safe, but I can’t find anything about terracotta… does anyone know?

Also, I want to create objects (hides, rocks, bridges) for her enclosure myself — does anyone know which type of moldable clay (if any) is safe for beardies?

Thank you a million in advance for any insight! I’ll post a pic of my girl… last time I posted here she had some issues but she’s done much better since with everyone’s help

7E92BFD1-6AA0-4ECA-8BFA-FB8A5F0AD31A.jpeg
CC80FC19-E6C9-41E6-8B0C-B090EA095D40.jpeg
255868CC-4159-4061-9DF1-52EAC2D8AD9E.jpeg

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Greetings!

I recently moved Ellie to an 85gal enclosure and I switched her mat to terracotta tile. I disinfected them with boiling hot water before putting them in there.
However, while they seemed like a good solution, now I’m wondering if I screwed up… I see plenty online about ceramic tile being safe, but I can’t find anything about terracotta… does anyone know?

Also, I want to create objects (hides, rocks, bridges) for her enclosure myself — does anyone know which type of moldable clay (if any) is safe for beardies?

Thank you a million in advance for any insight! I’ll post a pic of my girl… last time I posted here she had some issues but she’s done much better since with everyone’s help

View attachment 28692View attachment 28693View attachment 28694
You want slated ceramic tile - you dont want a texture thats going to rub sores on the feet or abrasions on the stomach as well - I am not sure about the roughness of terracotta - you want something w/ texture no rough and that will not cause slippage like smooth --

Snowyowl953

Bearded Dragon Egg
You want slated ceramic tile - you dont want a texture thats going to rub sores on the feet or abrasions on the stomach as well - I am not sure about the roughness of terracotta - you want something w/ texture no rough and that will not cause slippage like smooth --
Thank you so much! I’ll attach a photo of what the tile look like but based on what you shared I might have to switch them out for the slates ceramic tile you mentioned… Thank you for the false rock link as well

Latest posts