• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Temporary Enclosure

Alvleo98

Bearded Dragon Egg
Built Boots her enclosure, been working on getting her new bio active terrarium but generally wondering if the uvb in her terrarium is sufficient before her upgrade hopefully before December (she’s 3 months). She has a T8 10.0 reptisun bulb on her cool side and a Reptisun MVB in her basking spot. temperatures typically never get under 60 in our house but i do have a ceramic and under tank heater available if it gets too cold for her. Or is there too much uvb going on? her basking she likes the stick but mostly she’s on her little dragon looking too get a better price of wood for her to ideally bask under as she loves to climb instead of the dino bones being there.

Attachments

• F78ED6D5-076E-45C6-8B15-4EAC593E10AC.jpeg
    F78ED6D5-076E-45C6-8B15-4EAC593E10AC.jpeg
    642.3 KB · Views: 17
  • 0318BEE7-0BC3-41E4-83B3-AC559DCE1F3C.jpeg
    0318BEE7-0BC3-41E4-83B3-AC559DCE1F3C.jpeg
    648.3 KB · Views: 17

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Built Boots her enclosure, been working on getting her new bio active terrarium but generally wondering if the uvb in her terrarium is sufficient before her upgrade hopefully before December (she’s 3 months). She has a T8 10.0 reptisun bulb on her cool side and a Reptisun MVB in her basking spot. temperatures typically never get under 60 in our house but i do have a ceramic and under tank heater available if it gets too cold for her. Or is there too much uvb going on? her basking she likes the stick but mostly she’s on her little dragon looking too get a better price of wood for her to ideally bask under as she loves to climb instead of the dino bones being there.
ok the T 8 is doing no good on the screen --- it needs to be inside the tank w/ a distance of 6-8 inches directly above the basking decor piece w / NO clear plastic cover over the bulb --- also that looks like a Thrive fixture -- is it? Does it have a reflector in it? You will need to upgrade the T 8 to a T 5 for a bigger tank -- are you using a Solar Glo MVB? If so what is the wattage of it?

Alvleo98

Bearded Dragon Egg
ok the T 8 is doing no good on the screen --- it needs to be inside the tank w/ a distance of 6-8 inches directly above the basking decor piece w / NO clear plastic cover over the bulb --- also that looks like a Thrive fixture -- is it? Does it have a reflector in it? You will need to upgrade the T 8 to a T 5 for a bigger tank -- are you using a Solar Glo MVB? If so what is the wattage of it?
thrive fixture is correct! doesn’t have reflectors, I’m using a T8 because I figured maybe the MVB would be like a lot already and having a T5 would be potentially harmful? The Solar Glow is a 125 watt her exo terra terrarium is only 36w x 18D x 12H the MVB bulb is about 6/8 inches above her basking area

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
thrive fixture is correct! doesn’t have reflectors, I’m using a T8 because I figured maybe the MVB would be like a lot already and having a T5 would be potentially harmful? The Solar Glow is a 125 watt her exo terra terrarium is only 36w x 18D x 12H the MVB bulb is about 6/8 inches above her basking area
Your UVB fixture needs a reflector --- that is a MUST -- I would ditch that fixture --- you need a tank that is atleast 40 gallon that is minimum ----- adult dragons should have a 75-120 gallon tank --- so I am going to post what you would need for that 40 + gallon tank for lighting -- how are you getting temps in that tank? those temps should be taken w/a digital probe thermometer -- NO stick ons they are inaccurate -- 6-8 inches is too close for the MVB -- it should be 12 " UNOBSTRUCTED NO SCREEN - if your using a screen the UVB rays are being blocked by at least 30% that is for the T 8 --- the MVB is it sitting on the screen as well -- the UVB rays are being blocked w/ the screen there too --- you cannot use a T 5 on a tank that is 12 " high - T 5's need a 18" height ---- basking temps should be 105-110 for a baby -- 95-100 for a adult / juvenile --- taken w/a digital probe thermometer --- especially for hammocks - if you need to adjust the MVB to a higher level your going to lose UVB rays - I dont recommend MVB because its too hard to get temps correct w/ out sacrificing UVB --- that is why its good to have back up UVB like your doing but at this point its set up incorrect and NO reflector does not help

here is what you need for a 40 + gallon tank
this is a 24" fixture it comes w/ a 5.0 bulb which would be good for the tank your using now but distance and placement is different from the bulb you need for a larger tank
you need this bulb for a larger tank
22" bulb https://www.pangeareptile.com/store/zoo-med-reptisun-10.0-uvb-t5.html
Your MVB needs to be replaced in 6 months from install -- if you want to go w/ a regular bright white basking bulb so you have better control over temps and the UVB I posted will be all you need --
https://www.pangeareptile.com/store/zoo-med-basking-spot-bulbs.html I would start w/ a 100 watt -- it will be trial and error w/ bulbs

I would start looking for a bigger tank I dont know if you want to go w/ new or used
Used try FB Marketplace or Craigslist -- it must be sanitized w/ some Rescue or Zoo Meds Wipeout --
then there are new where we can post websites for new ones --

Alvleo98

Bearded Dragon Egg
So if I have this correctly for her Temporary Enclosure i’m getting:
•Reflector Fixture
•Digital Thermometer
•24” T5 5.0 Bulb
•100 watt basking bulb zoo med

I plan on upgrading her too a 4x2x2 soon and I’m positive it will be easier to install lighting and fixtures. I was mislead on the type of terrarium too get at the store, i should have gotten the 18H instead of the 12H terrarium I would have been able too install her fixture correctly.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
So if I have this correctly for her Temporary Enclosure i’m getting:
•Reflector Fixture Zoo Med 24" comes w/ the 5.0 bulb use that for now
•Digital Thermometer
•24” T5 5.0 Bulb
•100 watt basking bulb zoo med this is trial and error -- MAKE SURE you have the digital probe thermometer

I plan on upgrading her too a 4x2x2 soon and I’m positive it will be easier to install lighting and fixtures. I was mislead on the type of terrarium too get at the store, i should have gotten the 18H instead of the 12H terrarium I would have been able too install her fixture correctly.

When you get the UVB fixture please post back on here and I will help you get it set up

Latest posts