• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Temperature gradients

Mike Hagan

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hello im a first timer just setting my tank up for the first time i have a questing it says they need a cold zone i have a 30 gallon right now and will be having 2 babies sent to me my original plan was a 36" strip light uvb and then 2 heat lamps in each corner 100watt bulbs so where does the cold zone come in at?

RaeAnn

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Two 100 watts in a 30 gallon sounds intense, have you tested it out to see what temps it gives you?

It's best to get each baby their own enclosure this will provide more security and personal space to each dragon. It will also enable you to use only 1 basking bulb on one end of the enclosure and use to other end for a cool zone. My suggestion would be to only use one basking bulb for now and get another set up as quickly as possible. While they are babies they will most likely share a basking light but it will be important to separate them soon. Even babies can fight and nip each other's toes

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mike Hagan

Bearded Dragon Egg
Two 100 watts in a 30 gallon sounds intense, have you tested it out to see what temps it gives you?

It's best to get each baby their own enclosure this will provide more security and personal space to each dragon. It will also enable you to use only 1 basking bulb on one end of the enclosure and use to other end for a cool zone. My suggestion would be to only use one basking bulb for now and get another set up as quickly as possible. While they are babies they will most likely share a basking light but it will be important to separate them soon. Even babies can fight and nip each other's toes

i havnt tested it out yet i just placed my orders on the research i have been doing for a couple weeks its hard to get everything correct but i can try a 75 watt bulb just one and see how that works i know the babies have been together since they were born and will stay together when shipped i was hoping if i bought them like that there would be less chance of them fighting

Mike Hagan

Bearded Dragon Egg
i havnt tested it out yet i just placed my orders on the research i have been doing for a couple weeks its hard to get everything correct but i can try a 75 watt bulb just one and see how that works i know the babies have been together since they were born and will stay together when shipped i was hoping if i bought them like that there would be less chance of them fighting

also one site says leave basking area on for 4 hours a day and then other says it should stay on with the uvb for 12 hours a day could you tell me what one?

RaeAnn

Bearded Dragon Veteran
You definitely want to leave both the basking and uvb light on for at least 12 hours a day.

As babies breeders and pet stores tend to house them together, this is only meant to be a short term thing. There are very few exceptions out there of dragons doing well together as adults and that is usually with two females. It is always best to avoid any risks and separate them before they get too big. Especially if both are males or one is a female and the other is a male. For now if you only have one set up I think they will be fine until you can get another.

I would like to add that there are other more experienced members on this forum that should be on throughout the day tomorrow. They can provide you with a link on this forum that touches base on practically everything for new owners. I think you'd find it both helpful and interesting

Mike Hagan

Bearded Dragon Egg
You definitely want to leave both the basking and uvb light on for at least 12 hours a day.

As babies breeders and pet stores tend to house them together, this is only meant to be a short term thing. There are very few exceptions out there of dragons doing well together as adults and that is usually with two females. It is always best to avoid any risks and separate them before they get too big. Especially if both are males or one is a female and the other is a male. For now if you only have one set up I think they will be fine until you can get another.

I would like to add that there are other more experienced members on this forum that should be on throughout the day tomorrow. They can provide you with a link on this forum that touches base on practically everything for new owners. I think you'd find it both helpful and interesting

ok well thanks for the help i appreciate it and so will my dragons ill check tomorrow to see who is online

RaeAnn

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Not a problem at all. If you have any further questions please don't hesitate to ask.

Eavlynn

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Hello im a first timer just setting my tank up for the first time i have a questing it says they need a cold zone i have a 30 gallon right now and will be having 2 babies sent to me my original plan was a 36" strip light uvb and then 2 heat lamps in each corner 100watt bulbs so where does the cold zone come in at?
Are working with a 30 gallon tall or short tank? Before the babies arrive, I'd pick up another tank for two reasons. They each need basking spots, so as not to fight over the one, which you know, but as they grow, they can get aggressive towards each other as they hit puberty and develop horomones. Bearded dragons aren't communal animals. If you're in the states, petco is running the dollar a gallon sale. Most of us go for 40 gallons, as they have plenty of floor space, and just the right bit of height to make the temp gradient they require.

As for cohabbing, how bad could it get? I just picked up a rescue girl that had been cohabbed with a male. In his attempt to mate with her, he bit at her face. Her head is covered in scars and her left upper eye lid has been bitten off completely. She's missing a toe, as well as part of her tail. Whether your housing two females, a pair, or two males, it's dangerous because they are very territorial. One dragon will assume the dominant role, and the submissive will suffer, even the babies form hierarchies when together.

This is Ruby, the dragon that was cohabbed.
5a1c57eec6056f7fce45acb6470ef082.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

RaeAnn

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Oh my gosh that poor baby! Eavlynn that is terrible but i'm glad you shared. I think this type of exposure will educate others. She's such a pretty girl too absolutely stunning colors. it's just sad to know that it could've been avoided :/

Eavlynn

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Oh my gosh that poor baby! Eavlynn that is terrible but i'm glad you shared. I think this type of exposure will educate others. She's such a pretty girl too absolutely stunning colors. it's just sad to know that it could've been avoided :/

She's got some issues. I'll be updating more in her thread. I've got. Vet appt scheduled for Friday to have her looked at.

RaeAnn

Bearded Dragon Veteran
She's got some issues. I'll be updating more in her thread. I've got. Vet appt scheduled for Friday to have her looked at.

I was going to ask if you were going to make a thread to keep us updated but thought you probably would. I'll keep an eye out when I hop on the forums Friday. Hopefully they will have good news

Eavlynn

Bearded Dragon Veteran
I put her thread under the introductions section. You'll all be updated as soon as I have news :)

Mike Hagan

Bearded Dragon Egg
Are working with a 30 gallon tall or short tank? Before the babies arrive, I'd pick up another tank for two reasons. They each need basking spots, so as not to fight over the one, which you know, but as they grow, they can get aggressive towards each other as they hit puberty and develop horomones. Bearded dragons aren't communal animals. If you're in the states, petco is running the dollar a gallon sale. Most of us go for 40 gallons, as they have plenty of floor space, and just the right bit of height to make the temp gradient they require.

As for cohabbing, how bad could it get? I just picked up a rescue girl that had been cohabbed with a male. In his attempt to mate with her, he bit at her face. Her head is covered in scars and her left upper eye lid has been bitten off completely. She's missing a toe, as well as part of her tail. Whether your housing two females, a pair, or two males, it's dangerous because they are very territorial. One dragon will assume the dominant role, and the submissive will suffer, even the babies form hierarchies when together.

This is Ruby, the dragon that was cohabbed.
5a1c57eec6056f7fce45acb6470ef082.jpg

Thank you for sharing your info sadly to gather everything these little guys need has left my pockets rather skinny im gonna try to have both in the 30 gallon its a tall one but ill try to get a 2nd tank cheap before they get big enough to start fighting over spots and what not i know they grow pretty fast tho but on another note could anyone tell me what i need if the tank goes to 65 degrees at night? do i need another light fixture or leave the basking light on

RaeAnn

Bearded Dragon Veteran
You would need a ceramic heat emitter. Beardies prefer it to be dark at night it helps them sleep peacefully. What this does is it provides heat much like one of the red night time lights would do but without the annoying light.

I can understand, it can be pricey to get them set up properly in the beginning. Eventually you will have it all together and perfected.

Eavlynn

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Thank you for sharing your info sadly to gather everything these little guys need has left my pockets rather skinny im gonna try to have both in the 30 gallon its a tall one but ill try to get a 2nd tank cheap before they get big enough to start fighting over spots and what not i know they grow pretty fast tho but on another note could anyone tell me what i need if the tank goes to 65 degrees at night? do i need another light fixture or leave the basking light on
Do your best to get a secondary enclosure and be sure to keep an eye on the babies in the meantime. I would feed them separately, so they don't get over excited chasing bugs around and nip off the others toe or tail tip.

If your temps drop at night, try a ceramic heat emitter, like Raeann said. They screw in like a bulb, but don't produce any light, just heat. That way you keep it warmer without disturbing their sleep cycle by leaving the basking light on. They have a parietal eye on top of their head that senses light, and sleep poorly if light is present at night.

Mike Hagan

Bearded Dragon Egg
Thank you all for the help but after reading up and listening to everyone I think I might have to go with just 1 bearded dragon for now I'm new to everything I never owned a reptile before and I think I might overwhelm myself with 2 babies especially reading up on how much they eat so I gonna search for just 1 sub adult female because I still want that bond watching them grow but I don't want to but any babies in harm's way with not knowing the proper care.

Eavlynn

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Thank you all for the help but after reading up and listening to everyone I think I might have to go with just 1 bearded dragon for now I'm new to everything I never owned a reptile before and I think I might overwhelm myself with 2 babies especially reading up on how much they eat so I gonna search for just 1 sub adult female because I still want that bond watching them grow but I don't want to but any babies in harm's way with not knowing the proper care.
I think you made a great choice. My first beardie was an adult, and that was tough enough to adjust to, tweaking things to get temps just right, figuring out how many feeders I needed so I wasn't running to the store every other day. One beardie will keep you plenty busy, without overwhelming you too much.

RaeAnn

Bearded Dragon Veteran
I completely agree with Eavlynn, I think you made a very good choice. In the beginning I wanted to get 2 babies as well until I started researching all of the care they require. I'm really glad I did my research before hand and did not get two. I think you will find that starting off with one dragon will be perfect. She will teach you so much and one day you will feel much more confident and prepared for another baby.
Best of luck to you. When you do finally get her I hope you come back and share pictures and tell us all about her :)

Mike Hagan

Bearded Dragon Egg
I completely agree with Eavlynn, I think you made a very good choice. In the beginning I wanted to get 2 babies as well until I started researching all of the care they require. I'm really glad I did my research before hand and did not get two. I think you will find that starting off with one dragon will be perfect. She will teach you so much and one day you will feel much more confident and prepared for another baby.
Best of luck to you. When you do finally get her I hope you come back and share pictures and tell us all about her :)

thank you i will definitely be posting pictures soon im pretty excited !

Joe Giddz

Hatchling Dragon
SUPPLIMENTS

You want to dust one protein meal a day with some sort of supplement. Most people do:

6X a week with calcium without D3
1X a week with a multivitamin

There are some exceptions though and other supplements that can be used. If you don’t have the proper UVB lighting, or you have a rescue dragon that you don’t know if it ever had UVB lighting, or you have a female that has just laid eggs, then do:

3X a week calcium without D3
3X a week calcium with D3
1X a week with a multivitamin

The above schedule is good for babies and juvenile bearded dragons. Adult bearded dragons should only be getting protein 3 days a week. In this case you could do:

2X calcium
1X multivitamin.

It’s not necessary to dust your salads with a calcium and multivitamins. Greens and veggies contain a slew of vitamins and minerals if you feed the right ones. So dusting them is kinda redundant.

It’s good to remember that proper UVB lighting lends to the creation of vitamin D3 and proper heating helps the absorption of calcium. When setting up your lights you want the UVB light and the basking light to overlap slightly to ensure this process happens.

Some other supplements that are helpful but not necessary are bee pollen and a probiotic.

Bee pollen is becoming very popular in the bearded dragon world. It is packed with protein, amino acids, vitamins and minerals. Picky eaters will sometimes devour food sprinkled in bee pollen because it gives it a bit of sweetness.

Bee pollen comes in granule or powder form. Either one is acceptable but powder is probably easier to use. It can be purchased online or at a vitamin store.

Probiotics can help restore the gut after a regime of antibiotics or a change in diet such as switching over to a more veggie diet for adults.
The calcium I have says contains D3 and I dust every morning feed mon-fri and multivitamins sat and Sunday. Is this okay he is only about 2 months old?

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Latest posts