• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Temperature fluctuation

Heather1979

Hatchling Dragon
Well I've just got my new 5 month beardie home and noticed the temperature keeps fluctuating between 100 and 105 degrees Fahrenheit . Out of experience does anyone know if it's usually the thermostat or digital thermometer that's broken?

jarich

Bearded Dragon Veteran
I would guess that neither is broken. It sounds like you have a thermostat on your heat/basking lamp. Is that correct? And its set to 105F? If so, then that is normal to have the slight variation. Basically the thermostat will kick in when it gets to 105, dimming the light. The temperature will go down accordingly, and the thermostat will stop dimming the light then. That will allow the temperature to come back up, etc etc.

Heather1979

Hatchling Dragon
I've bought a new thermostat and thermometer because the thermostat kept dropping about 20f. My probe for the thermostat is at the back just past half way as that's what the instructions say and I have temporarily putting the thermometer probe on the basking spot but obviously I can't leave it there as there is no room for the beardie to bask so then I put it to the side but I just get concerned that the temperature in the basking point changing is it safe for it to go up and down by 5 degrees and is it normal ?

Latest posts