• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

tank heating help

t4bluebird

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
I just purchased a 125 gallon tank and I dont know how to heat this massive thing I really dont want 8 flood lights hanging on it plus my electric bill would kill me. what do you people use?

beardie_love

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
I haven't personally used a huge tank like that, but perhaps 2 bulbs would be good to heat it up. One side can have a higher wattage bulb to provide the basking spot, and use a lower wattage bulb on the other side to create a good ambient temperature.

You don't have to use those expensive reptile bulbs. I suggest getting hallogen bulbs as they give off more heat with a lower wattage, compared to regular household bulbs.

Hope this helps!

li

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
That is a huge tank, how big is your beardie. i would use two domes with regular household bulbs. Try 75 watts.

Red Ink AUS

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
t4bluebird said:
I just purchased a 125 gallon tank and I dont know how to heat this massive thing I really dont want 8 flood lights hanging on it plus my electric bill would kill me. what do you people use?

What are the dimensions and what is it made of?

Should'nt be that hard to heat it up.

Pogie

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I suggest getting hallogen bulbs as they give off more heat with a lower wattage, compared to regular household bulbs.

Thanx for that info, didnt know hallogen gave off more heat ::) Will def give it a try when P's Basking bulb goes.

As for the huge tank, gosh I think 2 lights with different wattages like beardie_love suggested could work, but the dimensions are also important to make better wattage suggestions.

t4bluebird

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
right now i have a 150w halogen with a 100 watt ceramic light. the tank is 6 ft by 18 by 21 i believe my beardie is probably just over a foot. I had her in a breeder and wanted to upgrade. Oh the tanks made of glass.

beardie_love

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
t4bluebird said:
right now i have a 150w halogen with a 100 watt ceramic light. the tank is 6 ft by 18 by 21

Hmmm. I was going to suggest somewhere along those wattages. Are they on each end? If you post a picture of your tank with the lights it may be a bit easier to help you out.

Also, are the lights mounted into the tank or do they sit on top of a screen top? If they sit on a screen, the screen is probably absorbing some of the heat.

Again, a picture could help.

Pogie

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Again, a picture could help.

Definitely will help.

OK so the tank is 182cm X 45cm X 53cm .
That means the 45x53 is about same as mine (Mines 120x45x55) Its just longer than mine.

I have a 60W basking lamp over the basking area (Inside the tank) 8 inches from basking platform. A 60W CHE used at night over basking platform as she sleeps there as well.

As your tank is longer I think maybe another 60W in the middle somewhere to add more heat to the cooler end. as well as the hot side.

How far from the heat source is your basking spot? You said youve got a 150W in there, what are the current basking and cool end temps ??? And like already said if you have the light above a screen it will influence the temps... My lamps are inside the viv, its a wooden viv with sliding glass doors.

t4bluebird

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
The tank doesnt have a screen the lamps are hanging down into the tank a slight bit. I solved the issue by making a plexy glass top it holds the heat in very well. its only on the one side though since the lights are on the other side. The 150 is the basking light its 18 inches from her rocks and they reach around 85 F the cool side is 72 to 75 give or take the day. at night the basking goes off and the tank stays at 72 in hot and 65ish in the cool.

TheVirus

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Hey,

I have a 5'x30"x30" enclosure, and a bunch of 4'x2' enclosures (glass tanks and horse troughs). I heat every one using one 45 watt halogen indoor/outdoor flood bulb.

The key is to have little ventilation. Right now you have a portion or none of the top covered. Its like trying to heat your house with no roof. To fix the problem, you have to use high watt bulbs, or multiple high watt bulbs. Your throwing alot of heat down in to the tank, but its just turning right around and leaving through the top. The problem with that is, the hot air is absorbing all the moisture in your enclosure, and your dragon. Because its a great deal of air leaving at all times, its dehydrating your animal rapidly.

Just completely cover the top, mount the lights inside, and drill a few holes on the cool side. If you leave your lights on top, I wouldn't drill any holes, because there will be alot of air movement through the light fixtures and gaps.

Pogie

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
85 Is too cold on the Hot side, should be between 105/110 for babies/juvies and 100/102 fir adults
72 and 75 on the cool end is also too cold, should be closer to 85 for babies/juvies (although 70-85 is acceptable)

How old is your Beardie ???

Try getting the rocks closer to the light source, should increase the temp on the basking side.

65 at night is also fine . . . It just shouldnt drop lower than that. If it does I would suggest a CHE at night, it emits heat but NO light

t4bluebird

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
the beardie is around 6 yrs old I got her when she was 3 and have had her for about 3 to 4 yrs now. I take her to the vet to be checked up on and shes healthy every visit. But I seen your viv on here with ply wood as the lid with the lights inside the tank Im going to do that tomorrow because I did check the basking light and you cant feel it from where she is. Im also putting in two 26 inch uva/b lights on the hot side with the 150w basking and 100w ceramic on the cool side another 150w basking and a uva/b bulb this should give her what she needs.

Red Ink AUS

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
t4bluebird said:
the beardie is around 6 yrs old I got her when she was 3 and have had her for about 3 to 4 yrs now. I take her to the vet to be checked up on and shes healthy every visit. But I seen your viv on here with ply wood as the lid with the lights inside the tank Im going to do that tomorrow because I did check the basking light and you cant feel it from where she is. Im also putting in two 26 inch uva/b lights on the hot side with the 150w basking and 100w ceramic on the cool side another 150w basking and a uva/b bulb this should give her what she needs.

If you put the ceramic on the cool side make sure you control it with a thermosat as leaving it on all the time will not give you a thermal gradient. You will need a cool side where the dragon can escape from the heat. The two 26 inch UVB lights will be better in a line to give more coverage along the length of the tank alternatively one 4 foot light will do running the length of the enclosure. Are you going to be mounting the lights internally or externally?

Latest posts