• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Tank burnout

Candybugs

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
I have burnout right now . 6 tanks is alot to maintain. 3 of them are fish tanks. Fish tanks are ALOT of work. They're not all 3 mine but since others don't do it right I do them all. I thought venting would help but I'm getting mad on top of burned out. Ugh

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Canicke

Super Moderator
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
sounds like there might be a need for change. others lack of responsibility is not YOUR responsibility. it's great that you care about the animals, but - there are others who would care for them, too. might wanta consider that. please don't over tax yourself

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I get it...fish take alot of work I used to breed African Cichilds and I had 5-6 tanks going at any one time.. The others need to take some cleaning duties for sure that's alot for just one person to do. make sure you do yours first...

Candybugs

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
They all always get done and I could never rehome any of our zoo. It's the fish that are like ugh. Maybe I'll go visit my friend for a night and get recharged.

Candybugs

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
The fish all started at a.carnival I should sue them for misrepresentation I thought he just needed a ping pong ball. Lol

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
That's why we got into reptiles because we had fish for 18 years and just got tired of always changing the water and cleaning them etc. I do have a little bit of burn out though with my lizards. Sometimes I feel like I don't have any time to spend with them because I'm always cleaning their tanks or cleaning their feeders or something. I would just love to have a full day of not doing anything for them but everything with them.

Candybugs

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
Yes exactly. Hef is the only clean one.

laswabbie

Juvenile Dragon
I tore down a 75 gallon African tank to use for Falkor's habitat. In addition to normal maintenance, my Rusties were pounding out fry at a rate of 50 to 75 every month. I got tired of finding homes for them. After I found homes for all my breeders and Rift Lake catfish I felt like I had gotten my life back.

So now I am doing essentially the same thing by redirecting my energy and over doing things with reptiles instead of fish.

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I tore down a 75 gallon African tank to use for Falkor's habitat. In addition to normal maintenance, my Rusties were pounding out fry at a rate of 50 to 75 every month. I got tired of finding homes for them. After I found homes for all my breeders and Rift Lake catfish I felt like I had gotten my life back.

So now I am doing essentially the same thing by redirecting my energy and over doing things with reptiles instead of fish.
That's what used to have I raised African's too had soo many tanks for the fry it just got to be soo much lol have to say I don't miss always having a tank to clean lol

Draeju's_world

Juvenile Dragon
My aquariums practically run themselves being heavily planted low tech tanks. The reptile enclosure is far more work and feeder bugs are expensive! Adds up fast even purchasing online. Dubias just dont make financial sense unless you start your own breeder colony and thats one more thing that requires regular maintenance to add to the list. Lol . I can't imagine what it would be like to breed english bulldogs or something suoer demanding like that.

Candybugs

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
Superworms are my new dubias. I'm still struggling with these tanks . They get done I'm just ugh doing it.

Draeju's_world

Juvenile Dragon
Drae recently started refusing his dubias. Unusual considering he used to run down to the front glass when i pulled them out. He still eats his BSFL and supers, though.

Candybugs

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
Hef came out of brumation last year and wouldn't eat a cricket if it crawled in his mouth. That's when patsy suggested superworms and that was the ticket.

Latest posts