• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Taming Your Beardie

Letreze

Bearded Dragon Egg
My dragon is 5 months old and very sweet, but I am having trouble with him being calm when out of the cage. I see all these pictures and see people at reptile shows with their beardie on their shoulders and all my dragon wants to do is escape me when I hold him. I got him from a breeder and not a pet store. He knows my voice and I can hand feed him. I have handled him every day since I got him a 9 weeks. Will he ever calm down and be a lap dragon? Lol
Thanks in advance for advice,
Treze

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
Some dragons are just free spirits and want to do their own thing. My first dragon was a girl and she is very chill and content with just sitting on my shoulder. When I got my male a year after her I was expecting the same thing but he was the complete opposite. I always say if I got him first, I probably wouldn't have gotten another dragon. He's 4 now and he still doesn't like to cuddle much.

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Yea just keep doing what your doing but your dragon is pretty young so kinda a wild child lol..
Like patsy my first was my female and she was a baby and she is now really calm but it took quite a few months of getting her used to being handled...my 2nd is a boy and he's always been a wild child..I now have a 3rd and i also got him as a baby and he is super chill and he's only 7 months.

So just keep handling and if your not doing this I would recommend that you do alot of night time handling as they are more relaxed then.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Letreze

Bearded Dragon Egg
Thanks for the advice. I will continue to handle and play with him everyday and hopefully keep building that trust.

Treze

KrissyLeigh

Juvenile Dragon
Oh yes. The little ones are full of energy, don't worry he will turn into a fat lazy dragon!!! Don't even try and restrain him at that age, let him climb over you, explore, chase bugs, etc. He will appreciate it. :)