• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Taming Baby Beardies?

Looney-Tunes

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Hi we have a new bearded dragon and need some taming help!!! We have a fabulous Beadie we have named Lizzie (very unique we know). We think she is a girl but she is only 7 inches long so time will tell. We have now had her for 3 weeks. We seem to have done well with terrarium, temperatures and feeding (she loves pinapple!) . We need help in socializing her. She actually belongs to the kids who have yet to try and take her out. We (adults) can put in our hands into the terrarium (front door opening) and pat her head and back but she freaks if you try and take her out . I don't want to chase her around the cage and stress her out but I have been told she should be played with every day. This evening we took her out and put her into a box to feed her to see if she might start to associate cricket time with coming out time. She did OK but when we tried to take her our again shortly after going back into her terrarium she was quite emphatic about not coming. She will eat lettuce and pinapple out of our hand daily for a few bites but that is about it. When we pat her it is only for 10 minutes or so at a time. I had one guy tell me he takes his out for hours at a time. I realize she is young but need some real tips on time lines and suggestions to make her comfortable. When she is out she does stay in our hands but we keep a close eye on her because she can try and leap away if we are not careful , and chasing her around the house would not be good. So far the kids (9 & 12) leave her be until we feel she is more calm. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

renich

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Hello and welcome. For starters, I just want to comment that pineapple should be offered on occassion. Here's a link to some food choices that are good to put in your beardie's daily salad:
Bearded Dragon Care

As far as handling, try and remember that you are a predator to your beardie right now. Slowly put your hand in the viv towards the floor. Gently rub his chin. Then slowly move your fingers under his belly and gently lift him up. Continue this process and he'll come around.

You don't want to quickly pick him up. He might think you are a hawk getting ready to eat him up. lol...

egg 80

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
hi and welcome to the forum. you got any pics of your little un?
this is very common in young beardies, as renee said you are a predator until your beardie learns to trust that your not beardies are very trusting animals but on the other hand can also be a bit skittish when they are a bit outta sorts the best way to teach them the trust is to keep doing as you have its only a matter of time just hand feed them stroke their beards and slowly move your hand under the body until she is basicly lying on your hand then support the tail and rear legs and gentaly lift her out before you know it youll be putting your hand in there and she will be up you arm of her own accord. just spend i little time with her bathing and stroking her, update us on you progress.
paul

Looney-Tunes

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Thanks everyone! We haven;t actually stroked her beard yet (may be fear lol!) Good to hear it takes awhile. We will continue working on it and will keep an eye on the pineapple. Will add a pix once I upload them from my camera.

Twobeardieguy

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Hello and welcome, yes I also agree it takes time and love and you will be on your way! ;) You can also try the tee shirt method. Take a tee shirt you have worn all day and put it into the viv at night so your beardie gets used to your scent. Good luck..

Latest posts