• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Taking in another Beardie

Ayrn Fiorenini

Bearded Dragon Egg
Yesterday In a sudden turn of events, I will be taking in another Bearded Dragon that had previously belonged to a friend. I have had my 4 year old male for about a year now and I have loved him. Earlier this month my Chameleon passed after a health struggle and many vet visits and I am finally ready for another. I am very excited and setting things up for her.

However, I do have many concerns. I have not seen this Beardie as of yet and from what I have been told I am not confident about her health. From what I understand she is almost 3 and about 13 or 14 inches, being kept in a 20 gal. I have been told she is in good health but just based on the way my friend talks about it, I'm not too sure. I am waiting for her to be dropped off today for me to examine her and then make a run to our pet supply store. Making this thread now so I can post updates and keep it organized.

Hoping for the best!

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Yesterday In a sudden turn of events, I will be taking in another Bearded Dragon that had previously belonged to a friend. I have had my 4 year old male for about a year now and I have loved him. Earlier this month my Chameleon passed after a health struggle and many vet visits and I am finally ready for another. I am very excited and setting things up for her.

However, I do have many concerns. I have not seen this Beardie as of yet and from what I have been told I am not confident about her health. From what I understand she is almost 3 and about 13 or 14 inches, being kept in a 20 gal. I have been told she is in good health but just based on the way my friend talks about it, I'm not too sure. I am waiting for her to be dropped off today for me to examine her and then make a run to our pet supply store. Making this thread now so I can post updates and keep it organized.

Hoping for the best!
She needs a tank bigger than a 20 gallon - even a 40 is pushing it--- make sure your using a long tube fixture no coils for a uvb-- bright white basking bulb no colored bulbs and a digital probe thermometer

Ayrn Fiorenini

Bearded Dragon Egg
She needs a tank bigger than a 20 gallon - even a 40 is pushing it--- make sure your using a long tube fixture no coils for a uvb-- bright white basking bulb no colored bulbs and a digital probe thermometer
Of course. For tonight I have to use what was given to me until I can make a run to the store tomorrow. her owner gave the enclosure full of sand, yuck! She is missing many of her toes and is quite stunted. Her tail has kinks and her enclosure is horrible. From what I had in the house I switched her to a carpet ( This is not long term as I dislike carpet but is there until I can get either a heating tile or something smooth. she has a white basking bulb and a coil UVB which will be replaced with a reptisun tube. Since she is so small and I am worried about her mobility, I am planning to upgrade her to a 40 gal for now. She has been fed a diet of dried and dead feeders as well as almost exclusively romaine. I gave her some bsfl which she happily ate.

This may not have been ideal, but since she is missing so many of her nails, I wanted to make sure her feet were as functional as possible. I gave her a warm bath where I trimmed her remaining nails. They clearly had not been maintained and were twisted and extremely overgrown. The quick is rather long so the plan is to trim them weekly to hopefully help this. While she was in the water she dipped her head in it and did what I'm assuming is drink it. She did this again once I left but stopped as soon as I came back in the room (I grabbed a towel from the bathroom closet not even 4 feet away).

Ayrn Fiorenini

Bearded Dragon Egg
Welcome to the forum… Im sorry to hear about your cham :( , do you have any pictures of Him?
I will happily send photos of both the Cham and my 4 year old male :)
566610A8-FBC0-407A-A7EA-F94F1E7BDCEC.jpeg
tempImageSSgVx5.jpg
tempImageCsf63w.jpg

(photo taken before the Cham's tank upgrade)

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Of course. For tonight I have to use what was given to me until I can make a run to the store tomorrow. her owner gave the enclosure full of sand, yuck! She is missing many of her toes and is quite stunted. Her tail has kinks and her enclosure is horrible. From what I had in the house I switched her to a carpet ( This is not long term as I dislike carpet but is there until I can get either a heating tile or something smooth. she has a white basking bulb and a coil UVB which will be replaced with a reptisun tube. Since she is so small and I am worried about her mobility, I am planning to upgrade her to a 40 gal for now. She has been fed a diet of dried and dead feeders as well as almost exclusively romaine. I gave her some bsfl which she happily ate.

This may not have been ideal, but since she is missing so many of her nails, I wanted to make sure her feet were as functional as possible. I gave her a warm bath where I trimmed her remaining nails. They clearly had not been maintained and were twisted and extremely overgrown. The quick is rather long so the plan is to trim them weekly to hopefully help this. While she was in the water she dipped her head in it and did what I'm assuming is drink it. She did this again once I left but stopped as soon as I came back in the room (I grabbed a towel from the bathroom closet not even 4 feet away).
Yes please do not leave her in the water- she will aspirate- please post pics of her when you get her- the carpet can be used but I would recommend paper towels in the 20.gallon and you can get some textured NON adhesive shelf liner-- clean w/ vinegar and water 50 50 solution-- I will get some things posted for you for diet etc supplements etc--- I would invest in a 24" fixture for her w/ the Reptisun 10.0 T 5-- that is going to be better for her in the long run than a T 8 - they have different placement and distance so please post what you get her-- I will help you get it placed- if you have questions or help w/ anything please ask

Ayrn Fiorenini

Bearded Dragon Egg
Yes please do not leave her in the water- she will aspirate- please post pics of her when you get her- the carpet can be used but I would recommend paper towels in the 20.gallon and you can get some textured NON adhesive shelf liner-- clean w/ vinegar and water 50 50 solution-- I will get some things posted for you for diet etc supplements etc--- I would invest in a 24" fixture for her w/ the Reptisun 10.0 T 5-- that is going to be better for her in the long run than a T 8 - they have different placement and distance so please post what you get her-- I will help you get it placed- if you have questions or help w/ anything please ask
Of course, thank you for the help. Diet and supplement wise I think I am fine as I have has my male for long enough to have assembled quite the collection lol. And I took her out of the water as soon as I saw her doing this. I'll post a picture soon. I have a Reptisun 10.0 T 5 for the male and intend to buy the same for her. For some reason her previous owner had no probes in the enclosure at all so I have another set on the way to be used with my heat gun. Tomorrow the plan is to pick up a 40 gal until I can make sure she is healthy and mobile. And a nonadhesive shelf liner is the most likely since I have been using it in my 75 gallon and have had no issues so far.

Her current setup is awful and I feel so bad she was in a situation like this for almost 5 years. Gosh, I'm so ready to spoil her.

Ayrn Fiorenini

Bearded Dragon Egg
P1.jpg
P2.jpg
P3.jpg
P4.jpg
P5.jpg
P6.jpg

Skybug

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
Pinch her chin skin and hold her top jaw with the other hand, shes not gonna like it but u can get a quick view

Ayrn Fiorenini

Bearded Dragon Egg
Pinch her chin skin and hold her top jaw with the other hand, shes not gonna like it but u can get a quick view
Gosh, I am such a worrier. Her mouth was wet since she had just had a drink, the thing I thought was something problematic was shed skin, and her lips look perfectly fine. I'm assuming the shape of her mouth is based on her stunted growth as she was kept in a 20 gal since she was adopted. From what I can see, her mouth looks fine, though I am unable to get a picture.

Skybug

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
Gosh, I am such a worrier. Her mouth was wet since she had just had a drink, the thing I thought was something problematic was shed skin, and her lips look perfectly fine. I'm assuming the shape of her mouth is based on her stunted growth as she was kept in a 20 gal since she was adopted. From what I can see, her mouth looks fine, though I am unable to get a picture.
As long as you don’t see anything black yellow or red inflammation you’re good

Skybug

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
With her being a slightly disabled beardie u might some kind of soft mat as a flooring so it’ll be easier on her joints when shes moving around, idk if uve already thought of this or not.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
this is more of MBD ---

Ayrn Fiorenini

Bearded Dragon Egg
With her being a slightly disabled beardie u might some kind of soft mat as a flooring so it’ll be easier on her joints when shes moving around, idk if uve already thought of this or not.
I figured this was best but am uneducated on what would be a softer mat to use for her? Any recommendations are appreciated!

(side note) - I have decided to name her Petrie, like a petrie dish, as she is quite small and it fits with the name of my male, Beaker!

Latest posts