• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Taking Dragons out - RSPCA Problems

Beadys Mum

Bearded Dragon Egg
As a new forum member, can I ask a question please. I am a proud and doting mum of a 3 year old Bearded Dragon. She is my baby and comes everywhere with me (weather permiting of course) To my absolute horror I was stopped by the RSPCA over the weekend. They impounded poor Beady for 1.5 hours before I could get her back and really upset me. I was treated like a criminal.They started off by implying that she wasn't safe on my shoulder and could be attacked by a horse (I was at a well known horse fair) or dog. Then they switched to the fact that she should be in her viv the whole time because of temperature. They insisted in keeping her for 1.5 hours whilst we went to get our car. They refused point blank to let me stay with her. When I went back to collect her, they had put her in a storage box (the type you put toys in). There was no lid and a big sharp crack in the bottom. To my horror, beneath the towel they had put there, they had put 3 drinks flasks. They were the ones meant for cold drinks only. They had filled them with boiling water. Had they burst, they would have scolded if not killed my girl.
In the end I was desperate to just get out of the place, and the RSPCA were very threatening to me. With hindsight I wonder if I should have refused to leave her, or if there is anything I can do now. I also wonder if anyone else has had similar problems. I have since found that the RSPCA seem to be very anti exotic pets in general.

Kodieh

Hatchling Dragon
You'll find some RSPCA, HSUS, and PETA affiliates to be very anti exotic. In fact, they'd rather no one have any animals domesticated or otherwise. It's a sad fact for our hobby, and a main reason I don't support or condone public rescue shelters. If it isn't someone running it out of the love of the animals, specifically if it is just a job for them, they're bad for my animals or any animals.

Browsing on Tapatalk through my iPhone! :)

Germ

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I am sorry to hear that you & your BD were mistreated by the RSPCA. That being said, I don't agree with taking them 'Everywhere', they had a very good point about spending the majority of the time in their proper environment for their better health & wellbeing. We go to great pains to bring their environment to certain standards & it doesn't do them a darn bit of good when they are not in it.

Noella

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
That's horrible, but Germ does have a point.

I'll bring Allie out once a month for an outing to pet stores or on a walk to get the mail. Otherwise, she's in her tank or outside in a travel playpen in the sun at home and when it's warm.

ThDude

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Germs point is a good one.

On the other hand, there are laws about animals and how they must be taken care of in public. In my state from what I read, I can take my BD anywhere someone can take a dog, I am required to have a leash/harness on the BD or in a portable pet carrier. If I did not have a leash on him it would be up to the owner of where ever I am as weather to kick me out or let me stay.

Now this is another part, no matter who a person is they can not take your animal(BD or otherwise) away from you unless it posses a thret or harms someone/something. If someone takes your animal away by force without consent it is considered theft and in some areas a type of animal kidnaping.

Latest posts