• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Taking Draco out???

Jaime

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Draco is 1.5 yrs old now and very antsy...hes never been out of his tank as he used to get really upset about being picked up...for the past year and a half we've been patting him and hes fine with it but I really think it would be nice to take him out soon. Im worried though, very worried...I dont want him to run away and get stuck under a couch or hutch et...Our house is full of hidy places...
Hes very friendly now that hes matured and isnt afraid of much anymore.
whats the best way to handle his first time out of the tank?
should I let him climb up my arm to take him out or should I just pick him up?

Thoughts? I want our experience to be positive and succesful :)

Germ

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
If he will climb up on your arm on his own, that would be the best. But if you have to pick him up, always approach from the front so he can see you & slide your hand underneath him to support as much of the body (Belly) & tail as you can. You should never pick up by grasping them from the sides, approaching from above may surprise him &\or bring out their natural fear of birds of prey from above.

When you bring him out, try to keep him on you for the first few times. When you do let him out on the floor, you will have to keep an eye on him, because he will wander until he finds a quiet secluded spot, often under things that are hard for us to get access too. When I have mine out, they will usually sit quietly for a while, then get a wanderlust & do as described above.

Good Luck

Latest posts