• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Tail shedding issue

CMahoney

Hatchling Dragon
I have recently purchased a baby bearded dragon a couple of days ago. When we bought him his tail was shedding and still is. I have noticed that the end of his tail is not quite straight. I am wondering if this is due to him shedding. I have been doing some research on tail rot and I really want to avoid that. The problem is not on the very edge of the tail but right before it. I have also noticed that he seems to be getting circulation to the very end of his tail since it is still retaining color and visual health. Here is a picture of the end of his tail where the problem persists. Again, he still has not shed his tail skin.

photo.JPG

Germ

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Welcome2c.jpg

I see no reason for concern, definitely not tail rot. It does appear that it's tail tip may have received some kind of trauma, likely bitten by a cagemate. There is the possibility that tip may dry up & fall off, time will be the judge of that.

A few good links to help get you started ...

Basic BD Care Sheet - A Place To Start

Bearded Dragon --- Exclusive Care Info Library

Beautiful Dragons Nutrition Chart

Is Bearded Dragon Co-habitation a good plan?

How to sex a Bearded Dragon
How To Sex A Bearded Dragon

Good Luck

CMahoney

Hatchling Dragon
Thank for the quick reply and helpful information. He does not have any cage-mates but i did just purchase him 4 days ago so it is possible one of his old cage-mates from the pet store nipped his tail and I just didnt realize it until now. Are bearded dragons able to heal well from wounds? I know they dont regrow limbs like some other reptiles. Or will his tail keep this appearance for the rest of his life? Also would be it wise to use Neosporin on a wound like this?

Germ

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Yes, it does appear to be an old trauma of some kind. BDs do heal, in my opinion, relatively quickly, barring infection. Only time will tell if it ever evens out or not, if that tip survives. There is a good chance of what you see is what your gonna have. Lightly putting Neosporin on it definitely couldn't hurt, may help release any retained shed.

Latest posts