• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Tail rot

Olliejones2000

Bearded Dragon Egg
I just noticed this. I ran my finger up his tail and found a ring of shed that was possibly cutting off his blood to the tail. He doesn’t ever eat a lot but I just noticed it today. Is it tail rot? When I removed the shed he shook his tail 4 or 5 times and then ran off.
He’s 18 months old.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 16

Skybug

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
idk i cant quite say, it does look kinda odd , like it’s discolored, and kinda dead looking, id splash a little betadine on it and see what happens, (ratio 1 part betadine to 4 parts water) it may fall off, keep it clean if that happens and add some honey (preferably Manuka honey). Beautiful bearded dragon btw.

Olliejones2000

Bearded Dragon Egg
idk i cant quite say, it does look kinda odd , like it’s discolored, and kinda dead looking, id splash a little betadine on it and see what happens, (ratio 1 part betadine to 4 parts water) it may fall off, keep it clean if that happens and add some honey (preferably Manuka honey). Beautiful bearded dragon btw.
It’s very hard and brittle. Yes annoyed as I try to look after him and avoid anything like this. The honey is it store bought or does it need to be special? I’ll order some betadine tomorrow.

Skybug

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
It’s very hard and brittle. Yes annoyed as I try to look after him and avoid anything like this. The honey is it store bought or does it need to be special? I’ll order some betadine tomorrow.
You can probably find it at your local store, you dont need a special brand, but make shure it does say manuka(it has health benefits for wounds) as opposed to the honey thats in the bear…

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
If you cant find the Manuka you can get any raw unpasteurized honey will work --- this is some info on tail rot
Causes of tail rot are:
1. Injuries/trauma - caused by falls, or by any other bearded dragon.
2. Malnourished - make sure he has a balanced diet and he gets the nourishment he needs
How to identify tail rot:
1. Dried out - Decaying tail won't be able to retain moisture, check if it's dried out completely.
2. Very thin, brittle - Decaying tail won't be able to process nourishment, causing it to become more thin and brittle.
What to do after finding out it has a tail rot:
1. Go to a vet - very recommended
For more info, please see the link: https://reptile.guide/bearded-dragon-tail-rot/
T Ask yourself these questions:

Was the tail recently injured?
Was a part of the tail open (eg wound/scrape/cut)
Was flesh exposed?
Is the tail constantly dark? or does the darkness ever go away (eg when in the tank, different environments)
If you didn't answer yes to basically all of those questions, it's not tail rot.
Tail rot is extremely rare. It's an infection of the flesh, from a wound or injury to the tail.
Tail rot is really kind of just a fancy name for an infected wound, one of which is affecting the tail.ail Rot

Olliejones2000

Bearded Dragon Egg
No he hasn’t been injured but he might have squashed it ? I have never seen an open wound or anything. That dry shed was very tight on his tail tho which might have cut circulation off. If I try the betadine idea and it’s not tail rot is that bad for him? He’s very happy at the moment so I’m not too worried but I do struggle to get him to eat and always have but the vet says he’s fat

Attachments

• 483C8E6E-D582-4F50-9178-E66E1E5F6B38.jpeg
    483C8E6E-D582-4F50-9178-E66E1E5F6B38.jpeg
    343.7 KB · Views: 10

Skybug

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
The betadine cant hurt him, use it 2 times a day for a week, and see what happens, ive used betadine on myself before, it just tingles, and will kill off any germs or dead skin

Latest posts