• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Tail rot?

Mrbeardy

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hello o am new. I have a three-year-old bearded dragon named Mr. beardy, I’ve noticed this little dark part at the tip of his tail. Is he all right? I’m worried this might be tail rot… Also he hates baths I tried giving him one just now and his feet are dirty and he hates taking them. Thanks to whoever replies,
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

Skybug

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
He needs a good soak, 10-15 minutes then go at his feet with a toothbrush, he’ll hate it, foot hygiene is important for beardies, i can’t quite tell on the tail pic, can u send another pic from the top of the tail.

Mrbeardy

Bearded Dragon Egg
He needs a good soak, 10-15 minutes then go at his feet with a toothbrush, he’ll hate it, foot hygiene is important for beardies, i can’t quite tell on the tail pic, can u send another pic from the top of the tail.
BFE5E0C7-1585-43DE-8924-0F9B09A54681.jpeg
733CBE7F-4E09-426D-B492-E37F76D169FD.jpeg
image.jpg
image-jpg.26708

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 39

Mrbeardy

Bearded Dragon Egg
Just sprayed his feet and brushed it with a toothbrush, his feet are looking better. Are the pictures that I just sent you good for His tail?
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club

Skybug

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
The first pic was a little misleading ,these pics are more clear, his feet look better and his tail just tip just looks like shed that go dirty, it’ll turn dark dark, and tail rot usually comes from a injury , he looks good :)

Skybug

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
If u can just get one more pic of his pores, of his underside back legs, those can get clogged and cause problems down the road, as long as a bath is givin on a weekly basis this shouldn’t happen.

Mrbeardy

Bearded Dragon Egg
If u can just get one more pic of his pores, of his underside back legs, those can get clogged and cause problems down the road, as long as a bath is givin on a weekly basis this shouldn’t happen.
He gets a bath once or twice a week

Skybug

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
Yea his pores are a little clogged, no big deal, just scrub em real good next time he has a bath :) it should come right off , his pores might be inflamed after you scrub em so don’t worry if they get a little red.

Mrbeardy

Bearded Dragon Egg
Yea his pores are a little clogged, no big deal, just scrub em real good next time he has a bath :) it should come right off , his pores might be inflamed after you scrub em so don’t worry if they get a little red.
Should I scrub them with just a tooth brush?

Skybug

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
Should I scrub them with just a tooth brush?
No, that WILL hurt him, you need moisture to break it up, is he on sand or a dusty substrate? That can add to build up, basically they secret an oil out of the pores, if dust cakes onto it thats how they get clogged.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I would soak him for a few days in a betadine solution make it look like a weak tea - soften them up real good then take and gently squeeze them -- if they are soft enough the stuff will come right out

Skybug

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
I would soak him for a few days in a betadine solution make it look like a weak tea - soften them up real good then take and gently squeeze them -- if they are soft enough the stuff will come right out
Have you soaked your beardies pores in diluted betadine, that wouldn’t irritate them or the vent?

Mrbeardy

Bearded Dragon Egg
No, that WILL hurt him, you need moisture to break it up, is he on sand or a dusty substrate? That can add to build up, basically they secret an oil out of the pores, if dust cakes onto it thats how they get clogged.

Ok I will NOT do that. For sure. He does not have a sand substrate. He has reptile carpet. He originally had sand temporarily (1 month). I understand how their femoral pores work. Is there a specific amount of time he should soak? Thank you.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Ok I will NOT do that. For sure. He does not have a sand substrate. He has reptile carpet. He originally had sand temporarily (1 month). I understand how their femoral pores work. Is there a specific amount of time he should soak? Thank you.
A good 10-15 minutes -- do this several times per week and then see how soft they are ---

Mrbeardy

Bearded Dragon Egg
Thanks for the quick reply!
I’ll start the bath water and de-chlorinater. I’ll see what happens. He tends to itch his head with his leg when he’s in water for some reason. Only after a while. Usually after this happens I assume he’s getting irritated by the water. After about 15 minutes. Hope this is OK?

Latest posts