• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Tail Rot

Lou0169

Bearded Dragon Egg
I know a vet visit is the best answer, but that's not an option at this time. My bearded dragon's tail is almost falling off, what can I do in the mean time to reduce the chances of infection? Wash it out, put Neosporin, cover it up???
Thanks
cd97f90d44d95b68267a72e587712bfa.jpg

Sent from my Z981 using Tapatalk

BeardedHippy

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Im not sure thats tail rot, its usually black. Looks like he retained the shed on the end of his tail and it has restricted the blood flow to the tip. I think it really needs removing by a vet. Just try and keep it clean until you can get him in for a visit. Do not irrigate it, some neosporin should keep infection at bay for a while.

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
I agree with BeardedHippy. Looks like stuck shed. Try not to irritate it and keep it clean with diluted betadine until you can get to a vet.

Lou0169

Bearded Dragon Egg
I have been putting triple antibiotic ointment on her tail, it's hanging by a thread. Once the severed tail falls off, approximately how long will it be before it heals completely?
9701ee0e2ce07177e62126c756b98d93.jpg

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Oh goodness :( poor thing.. Keep it really clean and keep the enclosure super clean while it heals up... On the up side it's looking good so far, keep an eye on it and if it gets black looking and isn't looking like it's healing well like oozzing, pus, smell seek a vet as if it is doing those things an infection can get into their blood stream and can kill them.
Time frame is difficult to say but they are really good healers so it shouldn't be too long, and she will just have a shorter tail which isn't a bad thing as many of us can say keeping tabs on their tails when your cuddling with them can be a challenge with the long full tails.

Lou0169

Bearded Dragon Egg
The piece of the tail that was hanging finally fell off today. My dragon was on Metronidazole for a month because the vet thought that it could be fungus or bacteria that was eating up her tail. My question is should I give her some more of the Metronidazole to help combat any possibility of infection because of the open wound on her tail?
5d0acc82df08ab68a776852d535686d4.jpg

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I knew it wouldn't be long before it fell off.. If it were me I would hold off on the meds as they are just soo harsh on their bellies... I would see how it's healing up over the next few days. As long as it looks healthy I think she's ok..

Lou0169

Bearded Dragon Egg
I agree with BeardedHippy. Looks like stuck shed. Try not to irritate it and keep it clean with diluted betadine until you can get to a vet.
Where can I get Betadine for my dragon?

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
It looks like it is healing. It's not black or necrotic looking so that is good. Like Hdrydr31 said, if you are real concerned call the vet.

Lou0169

Bearded Dragon Egg
Took this pic just a few minutes ago and it's not looking bad at all. Keeping my fingers crossed.
8251fa4538f3c9c36680d2ee0c6c78ff.jpg

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Took this pic just a few minutes ago and it's not looking bad at all. Keeping my fingers crossed.
8251fa4538f3c9c36680d2ee0c6c78ff.jpg

Still looking good, keep on doing what your doing. Looks like nice granulation tissue healing itself.

Latest posts