• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

T5 HO UVB.. is 5.0 or 10.0?

amandapandatm

Bearded Dragon Egg
I recently upgraded my coil UVB to the zoo med hood. It is a t5 HO hood 24in and comes with a free 22 in 5.0 UVB lamp. I also purchased the 10.0 bulb but I received a dud. I also had to get an exchange for the hood because I received another dud (from Chewy) :(. I was wondering since now I have two 5.0 bulbs from the defective products I received I can use these instead. I am aware that the 5.0 is suitable for tropical lizards but doing some internet research I have seen that the 5.0 will be just fine since the TO hood has a reflector. Any thoughts? Still buying the 10.0 but I am wondering if the 5.0 will be good for now. I have a 40 gallon tank, 19 inches tall for my juvenile bearded dragon.

amandapandatm

Bearded Dragon Egg
...and the hood is on top of the screen as well, beardie is about 6-7 inches away from the hood in his basking spot.

Skybug

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
What type of screen holes do you have? Wide or small hole? I would think it’d be okay for the time being if it was a wide holed screen, but if they’re small holes u absolutely need the 10.0

amandapandatm

Bearded Dragon Egg
What type of screen holes do you have? Wide or small hole? I would think it’d be okay for the time being if it was a wide holed screen, but if they’re small holes u absolutely need the 10.0
They are small. Should I just switch over to my coil until I get the 10.0 for the bar?

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Any fine screen the UVB needs to be inside the tank +- wide hole only for the 10.0 bulb distance 8-10 inches - all 5.0 bulbs need to be unobstructed meaning No screen or inside the tank -- distance 6-8 inches directly above basking decor-- when replacing w/ the 10.0 bulb distance 12-15 inches directly above the basking decor

amandapandatm

Bearded Dragon Egg
Any fine screen the UVB needs to be inside the tank +- wide hole only for the 10.0 bulb distance 8-10 inches - all 5.0 bulbs need to be unobstructed meaning No screen or inside the tank -- distance 6-8 inches directly above basking decor-- when replacing w/ the 10.0 bulb distance 12-15 inches directly above the basking decor
Thank you, so is it safe to remove the screen from the tank? The hood I bought is high output with reflectors, would it be unsafe to put a 10 UVB in the tank?

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Thank you, so is it safe to remove the screen from the tank? The hood I bought is high output with reflectors, would it be unsafe to put a 10 UVB in the tank?
Yes as long as your little one or big one cannot escape - w/ no screen the distance is 12-15 inches directly above the basking decor piece

Latest posts