• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

T5 high output fixture

stinax182

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
Okay, sorry about having so many questions about this. I have the new HO 10.0 fixture and bulb. The recommended distance from animal to might is 12-16" but my beardie is housed in a 40 gallon breeder aquarium which is 18" high. But the basking spot of rocks and a branch are about 5-6" from the light. Is that too close? There's nothing for me the hang the uvb fixture from (I'd have to just wrap chains around it) and it fits perfectly on the aquarium.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1415495930876.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1415495930876.jpg
    543.7 KB · Views: 56

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
Is there any way for you to put the basking light in front or behind the UVB instead of right next to it? I have the Exo-Terra 36x18x18 and just bought the T5's. My lights are all resting on the mesh screen of the tank. I have the UVB spanning the length of the tank in the back and then I have their basking light dome fixture resting in front of it.

stinax182

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
I could i just assumed that having the uvb bulb right over where he basks would be beneficial. So now I'm assuming he doesn't have to be directly under it to receive the uvb?

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
I believe they are still getting the benefit of the UVB even if it is not right over the basking spot. I've always offered multiple hang out places in my tanks that are either under the UVB or the basking light.

Luvthemanimal

Bearded Dragon Veteran
The strongest source of UVB is in the center of the bulb...... You want your basking to be in front or behind the Uvb fixture as close to the center of it as possible....... Which is almost impossible especially when you need a hot side and cool side........

jarich

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Its usually easiest, since most people have elevated basking areas like shown above, to put the basking light on one end, and the UVB right next to it. While the middle of the bulb is a bit stronger, the elevation of the basking area compensates for that, making it the spot of highest exposure.

For the enclosure above, you have a fairly fine screen mesh, which will reduce the exposure of the light by about 1/4-1/3. However, with the reflector, that distance you have it is definitely too close. How long is the fixture and how long is the enclosure?

stinax182

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
They are both 36". It sits PERFECTLY on top. I would hang it by chains but there is NOTHING to attach them to..... I'd have to wrap the chains around the whole fixture and bulb.

stinax182

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
The fixture came with a free 5.0 bulb.... Would that be okay the use at this distance? I'm just grasping at straws.

jarich

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Not grasping at straws at all. Yes the 5.0 bulb would be much better at that height. That should put you around a 4-5 UVI at the highest point, which is great.

stinax182

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
I have a 10.0 in but the fixture came with a free 5.0. They are saying that it's too close to my beardie so i thought maybe because the 5.0 produces less uvb it might equal out because he is 4-5" from the light at times.
Um.... Hope you mean a t5 10.0 high output..... Because a 5.0 is for tropical and 10.0 is for dessert... 10.0 is what beardies require......

stinax182

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
Not grasping at straws at all. Yes the 5.0 bulb would be much better at that height. That should put you around a 4-5 UVI at the highest point, which is great.
So i can currently use the 5.0 bulb for that distance and he will get the required uvb? That would be nice because i can't use the bulb anywhere else so I'd use it until it died then rearrange his enclosure and use the 10.0 with a lower basking spot.

Luvthemanimal

Bearded Dragon Veteran
I have a 10.0 in but the fixture came with a free 5.0. They are saying that it's too close to my beardie so i thought maybe because the 5.0 produces less uvb it might equal out because he is 4-5" from the light at times.
With the fixture being on top of the screen it blocks half of the Uvb rays.... So 4-6 inches away would be a good thing...... Having a 5.0 above the screen would be like having a 2.0.........

With a standard 10.0 you want 10-12 inches between it and your beardie with no obstructions ie screen top..... With obstructions 4-6.

With a t5 high output 10.0 with no obstructions it's 12-16 inches away I believe and 8-10 with obstructions

jarich

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Hang on now, that is not correct. Please be careful with high output lighting recommendations. The 10.0 and 5.0 are not strictly for desert or tropical forest animals, but rather an indication of the exposure levels. When you are talking about a high output light that close, it is important to be more precise. Remember, the reflector increases exposure by at least twice as much, and even more at close ranges. With a reflector you are looking at around 16-18" for a safe exposure with a 10.0 bulb. As I said above, that screen will block about 30-35% of the light. That means a minimum of around 10-12" for safe exposure with screen. Since in this instance the light is about 5-6" from the dragons back, that is too close by about half. Keep in mind that the light is also the entire length of the enclosure, which means the only way for the animal to escape exposure entirely is to go down. So that means that the 5.0 is a good light to have good exposure at that distance and be safe still and provide a decent gradient.

stinax182

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
The 10.0 is actually for animals who are closer to the equator, where the sun in closest to the earth, rather than just 'desert' animals. While the 5.0 is for animals who live far below or above the equator. If distance matters to real sunlight i figured it would with the bulbs as well.

Thank you!

Latest posts