• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

T Rex!!

t rex

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
heres T Rex (at least i think thats what we are sticking to) his viv looks a little empty but we are gonna go get some more stuff to fill it up, he has the red light and shavings....if theres anything anyone recommends i would be glad to take advice, ;D ;D

beardie016.jpg

trex021.jpg

trex022.jpg

trex024.jpg

thanks for looking ;D

Craiger

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Great looking beardie! Love that third pic. ;D

li

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Awww...he looks great. I see a probe (digi?) and nice rocks. That is great. My only concern is what is on the floor of the tank. What is that substrate?

t rex

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
its wood chippings i think...small shavings, whats best to put down? i put it coz thats what i got, but am willing to go out tomorrow and get new stuff,

the rock is a heat rock which i said i didnt want coz of the problems you can get but he said they are heat controlled and wont go over a certain temp,

li

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Heat rocks, controlled or not aren't good for them. They don't help with digestion and can only cause heartache. They really are dangerous. They have been known to short and cause burns. Beardies don't feel heat from underneath. I would highly suggest taking it back and getting a credit toward the thermometer.

The wood chips aren't a good substrate. They can get ingested and cause impaction or other digestive problems. I would take them out asap, and just put down paper towels until you make a choice as to what to use. Non particle substrates are a better, safer choice. Ceramic tiles, non adhesive shelf liner, reptile carpet are all good choices.

I know this sounds overwhelming and being picky, but it really is important stuff.

t rex

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
no thats fine, i want all the info i can get!! will the rock be ok in there if i just dont turn it on?? i guess a heat mat is no good either??

will take out the shavings, can you use newspaper?? if not i will get oh to get some paper towels aswell,

any advice please!!! wont take any offence to anything!! ;D

renich

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Also, the red light is not needed. Bearded dragons thrive with bright white lights. You can use a regular household bulb.

He is a cutie! Congrats on the baby. I like T-Rex, hope it stays.

Pogie

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Congrats on T-Rex, like the name

Newspaper is fine to use till you decide. I had reptile carpet when I got my BD but found it annoying to keep clean, so I switched to ceramic tile . . . A Breeze to keep clean.

I assume you do have a UVB light also

li

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Ditto on the red light. The brighter the better. All lights on in the am and off pm. No lights not even red lights.
You can keep the heat rock but honestly a regular rock would be better. great way to keep his nails naturally trimmed.

staylor

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Not to be repetitive but I would at the least unplug the heat rock if you can not return it. I use a standard 75 watt light bulb and an energy saver for light. The energy saver is to just add more light. Do you turn off all lights at night? As for the flooring. I use ceramic tile in the adult tank and paper towel in the babies tank. I love both. I am trying to find a tile I like for the babys tank and then tile is going in there too.

t rex

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
i have just had him for today, i havent plugged in the heat rock and i wont do, reece chose the red light but i will pick up a white one tomorrow,

the tank he has is wooden so i will need something down, what about a peice of lino flooring? cut to size?

his tank looks really bare at the min so will go and get another log to fill in the other side, oh couldnt find a thermometer so thats on my list of things tomorrow...yep got a uvb light,

he looks very diddy in his tank, i just want to do everything right, i think if the bulb is to hot he has plenty or room on the otherside of the tank to cool off in,

he has been very nosy and is up at the window alot, do i turn all lights off then for tonight and then back on tomorrow?

thanks again :D

beardie_love

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
T Rex is adorable! :D

Sorry to butt in, but ceramic tiles file their nails good, like slate?

li

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Yes...all lights off in the evening. I used a timer. On at 6:30 am off at 8:30 pm. Obviously you can change the times to fit your schedule.

Cermic tiles work great for the flooring. Do not use linolium....fumes! If you can't get the tiles, use non adhesive shelf liner for now.
You can get a digital thermometer at at DIY hardware store of Target.
What uvb name and % are you using?

staylor

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I did not say welcome and your baby is so cute. Sorry about that, I have been sick and was on cold medicine earlier. You will be a good beardie parent and you will get it right. Your here asking questions and taking suggestions. Your doing great already, keep it up.

t rex

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
ha yeah its a good pic.. :D :D

hes still asleep, should i be keeping the tank warm at night? im in england so it still get chilly at night, should he wake up when the lights go on???...

it desnt matter how much you read up when it comes to the real thing 100 more questions come up!!!,

he was pretty active in his tank last night, but didnt eat any greens,the uvb says 15w,am getting a thermometer this am, with some foliage stuff to cover his tank abit more,

what about sand???....

t rex

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
just picked him up and hes cold!! got him on my chest wrapped in my cardie, its spring/summer here but an english summer isnt as warm as it should be!!! :-\

do you think heat at night???

sorry again for questions, ::)

zebraflavencs

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
A Ceramic heat element should solve that heat issue, but only if temps are below 65*F give or take a degree.
Zebraflavencs

li

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
In the morning, typically they will be cold. As long as your house doesn't go below 65* you are good and you need no heat at night. If your house goes below that, then a heat emitter might work at night.

The only sand that would be okay would be regular washed, sifted playsand. I still wouldn't recommend sand until your guy is over a year old. It was really hard for me to transfer Spyro's tank over to ceramic tile, but once I did, I loved it. Clean up is so easy. Never...never use calcium sand.

Keep the questions coming, not a problem. That is how you learn and will keep your beardie safe, healthy and happy.

Latest posts