• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Synn won't poop!! HELP!!

Jaker89

Hatchling Dragon
I have been out of town for the past 3 weeks and my buddy has been taking care of my beardie. Live Phoenix worms dusted with calcium twice a day every other day and veggies(collard greens and mustard greens mixed)available all day every day(swapped out every afternoon for fresh).

Well I get a phone call this evening saying that she hasn't pooped since I dropped her off with him before I left. Should I be worried? She pooped the day before I left. He said he has tried giving her baths and she just won't poop. Sent me a few pics of her and she looks healthy(he says she even roams his kitchen floor for 10-15 minutes every night while he makes dinner).

Should I be worried?

She is in a 75 gallon tank with a CHE and a repti sun 10.0 bulb. Has fresh water daily and pellets 24/7/365 as well. Vet recommended them.

Beardiemomma26

Bearded Dragon Egg
Ours didnt poop for a week and a half.. We have her a bath in really warm water and massaged her belly and she finally went IN the bath! Try that!

Jaker89

Hatchling Dragon
He's been trying that every other day. I'm home Sunday so I will try a few times and if it doesn't work she's going to the vet.

Mungi's Buddha

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
I wouldn't panic. Couple of things...she was taken from her normal "home" and is in a new environment. This would be the same as when you first brought her home to your house. She is also with someone new (other than you her normal keeper) who regardless of how well you instructed them on your dragon's care they are probably not doing things just like you did. Bottom line is that she has experience a major shake up in her routine and environment and to a reptile that causes enormous stress.
That stress can and will reek havoc on their digestive system among other things. And when you go back home and pick her up you can count on her having to re-acclimate again when you get her home. Next time you have to take a trip a better solution would be to leave her at home and get your friend to come over and tend her. Things will be infinitely easier and better for her. Dragons are not like dogs and cats and "boarding" them while you have to be away is very traumatic on them.
That being said I would first tell your friend to check around his kitchen floor real extra close to see if she has perhaps been sneaky and left a present someplace when he wasn't looking. Not to be graphic but since she is stressed it might be a very watery stool.
If he is sure that she hasn't gone to the bathroom at all then tell him to try and give her a 20-25 minute bath in the morning with water that is 105 degrees Fahrenheit and to gently massage her stomach toward her vent. If that doesn't produce results then tell him to repeat the soak again tomorrow evening. And both soaks on Saturday again if still no results. Then on Sunday you can continue the twice a day soaks or perhaps three if you are home early enough.
IF she has been eating all that you said and if by Monday she still has not produced THEN I would still not panic but schedule a vet appointment just to be on the safe side and have her checked out.

Hope that helps:)
Enjoy!!

Jaker89

Hatchling Dragon
My buddy actually has 4 dragons of his own. He takes care of her every time I go out of town. She finally pooped late last night in the bath.

Mungi's Buddha

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
Glad everything worked out. BTW I was not knocking your buddy in any way. My comments were in explanation for why the issue your dragon was having was happening in the first place and still holds no matter what your buddy's experience level is. His care for her will be different from yours and any time she is taken away from her "home" while you are away will be traumatic and stressful for her.

Enjoy

Pat B

Super Moderator
Totally agree with Mungi (AKA Brett). Even when you change something in the husbandry of your beardie that will give them stress. I like change but have to hold back when it comes to Spikes home. So good to hear he finally pooped! That is always such a worry. A warm bath and stroking their belly works almost every time. :rolleyes:

Latest posts