• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Swollen rear leg- one side only

Meggypeggy

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hi guys! It’s my first time here- I’m posting for my 10 year old daughter. We have a 4 month old Pygmy bearded dragon, Lucky, who we have noticed has developed unilateral swelling/mass on his rear leg. I will post a picture. He is possibly using that leg a bit less, but is moving around fairly well and still eating (though possibly slightly less enthusiastically attacking the crickets). He has recently had a shed, but doesn’t appear to have any stuck anywhere. We dust his crickets with calcium powder and have appropriate UV bulb in his enclosure. Any guidance would be appreciated.

Attachments

• 123F6D0A-7859-451B-85F0-14CE1B8B7299.jpeg
    123F6D0A-7859-451B-85F0-14CE1B8B7299.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 6

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Hi guys! It’s my first time here- I’m posting for my 10 year old daughter. We have a 4 month old Pygmy bearded dragon, Lucky, who we have noticed has developed unilateral swelling/mass on his rear leg. I will post a picture. He is possibly using that leg a bit less, but is moving around fairly well and still eating (though possibly slightly less enthusiastically attacking the crickets). He has recently had a shed, but doesn’t appear to have any stuck anywhere. We dust his crickets with calcium powder and have appropriate UV bulb in his enclosure. Any guidance would be appreciated.
Are you using a hammock in the tank ? I see a red hue? Is there a colored bulb being used? Please tell me exactly what your using for a UVB coil or a long tube fixture? And what brand and bulb of basking bulb are you using? These all play a significant role in the over all health and behavior of your dragon

Josh

Administrator
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I'd take him into the vet for something this anomalous tbh. I know, I don't like that answer either but this is probably something systemic and internal that you need more information about. It could be diet, it could be an internal injury, it could be a lot of things and I think a vet will help narrow them down very quickly instead of shooting in the dark starting with light bulbs.
p.s. welcome to the forum!

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Swelling can be caused by injury - nails getting caught sprains etc whether in carpet substrate or hammocks--- shed can cause swelling - improper UVB will cause it not to heal correctly --- also gout can cause this but we want to narrow down the things asked first -

Latest posts