• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

switching off crickets?

cybercat

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
OK Helios is now truely settling in. So far I have seen him drink and eat a bit. Tonight he eat all is salad. He is 11 or 12 weeks old now and feed crickets as his live. For those that have switched their babies over from crickets to worms how long did it take them? As I said we have seen him eat one and I know he ate 2 today. They are in his dish and all are alive. I am just worried that he is not liking the worms and will not switch over to them. For now that is all he is going to get besides his salad. When should I call it quits and offer crickets again?

Or is he just still settleing in. He arrive thur on the 23 shipped from FL. His cage is in main part of house where he can see everything going on. It is just hubby and me, no kids but we do have cats and a dog. Hubby was here from Fri till this afternoon and is now gone for the week. I fed him his salad this evening and he ate all of it but 2 little pieces. So I know he is not starving. Just would like a time frame to work with here before I make anymore changes. Trying not to change to much as we already added a hamock and adjusted his basking rock. That is at 102 temps and he has the arcadia 12 for UVB.

Germ

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
As mentioned many times, Basking temps should be in 110F range for a young BD. Most BDs need an acclimation period of a week to 10 days when rehomed. During this time, it is not uncommon for them to not eat as much. Minimal handling is recommended, other than for feeding, misting & tank maintenance, during this time to allow the acclimation process to be as stress free as possible. It helps when food is served in a low sided dish, so it can be easily seen without having to climb, a jar or plastic container lid works well.

Reactions: Jp

Daeyang

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Well my beardie is about 8- 12 months old- And I cut off her crickets and now feed her superworms as her daily. Beardies tend to be different, and some a bit more picky then others :/
It really just matters.. everyday just start taking a few crickets away and adding a few more worms, then one day you'll be out of crickets and only have worms! it worked for me :confused:

Aleena

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
I'm just curious why you're switching solely to supers. Crickets are supposedly better for them gut loaded, supers are supposed to be offered as an occasional treat on top of the cricket diet. I know, crickets are annoying and we hate them but the dragon's health is more important then my having to go to sleep with the occasional chirping from the few crickets that escaped the feeding frenzy.

cybercat

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
Just an update. I got my other worms in smallsuppers, silks and butter. He seems to like the butters alot. He prefers big prey not the recomend size between eyes. Although his space there is fairly spacy. He has been eating large crickets without a problem dusted and not dusted. I have them gut loaded n his greens he is eating plus BD pellets. I guess the phoenix worms were just too small for his taste. He did eat some but not like he is eating the larger butter worms. Now that winter has passed here his basking temps are higher now also ranging at 104 to 107. He does not like it when they get in the 107 range and gets off his basking spot.

Latest posts