• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Swimming?!

Beardiemomma26

Bearded Dragon Egg
Just gave Rango her 3rd bath and she started swimming!!!!!!! I did not know a beardie could swim, let alone swim under water! Hehe sooo cooooool

Noella

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Yep. They can! Mine will swim in her container during bath time, but I don't overfill the tub, but she'll put her head under sometimes and doesn't mind the occasional splash on her by me. Then she gets me back...:)

Germ

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
BDs are accomplished swimmers for short periods of time & distances. Yes, some do enjoy short underwater excursions. :)

khaleesi

Juvenile Dragon
It's funny my hubby and I were just talking about this subject a few minutes ago before I came online. I'm such a worrier I won't let my babies go underwater I always find myself with my hand in the water if they submerge too low, maybe I worry too much :confused: it's bath time tonight maybe I will let them try underwater they do love to swim on the surface but Germ said short periods of time what is considered too long? That's the bit that freaks me out I don't know how long is too long!

Pat B

Super Moderator
Your little beardie will be fine in the water. My Spike does not go under but he will swim. I never leave him alone as in leave the room but I will let him flounder around by himself. Good luck!

Germ

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
It's funny my hubby and I were just talking about this subject a few minutes ago before I came online. I'm such a worrier I won't let my babies go underwater I always find myself with my hand in the water if they submerge too low, maybe I worry too much :confused: it's bath time tonight maybe I will let them try underwater they do love to swim on the surface but Germ said short periods of time what is considered too long? That's the bit that freaks me out I don't know how long is too long!
They will come up on their own, long before there is any danger. I have never seen mine under more than 20-30 seconds, can easily swim 2 laps the length of the tub underwater with no issues. When bathing multiple Dragons together, you have to watch that they don't get held under for too long by another dragon, they will dunk each other on occasion by trying to climb on one another. But again, if there is nothing holding them down or not anything that they can swim into or get caught on, in or under, they will surface very well on their own when necessary. Even though they are adept swimmers, they only seem to have the energy to keep it up or even float inflated, for a short time on the surface also, so we must always only have them in warm water armpit deep when standing, so they can always plant their feet on the bottom when required, with their head well above the surface.

Germ

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
You want to have at approximately basking temps, 105-115F. Our Body temp is 98.6F, so if it is nice & warm to the touch, you will be fine. Some people compare testing the temp, to checking the temp of a baby's bottle on the inside of the wrist, personally I have it warmer than that for my BD's soaks. If you can comfortably put your hand in the bathwater, it will not be too hot for your BD.

As far as breathing hard, I am unsure if you simply mean breathing with it's mouth open or if it actually pants. It is common for BD to 'Gape' while soaking and because they frequently flail\swim around, panting is also quite common.

khaleesi

Juvenile Dragon
Thanks Germ that's good to know. I don't bathe them together and nor do I plan to :)

Beardiemomma mine do this too sometimes. I'm not clear myself about this, in my mind I have it down to 2 things, the water is causing pressure on their tummy/chest and their adapting to it or they simply don't like a bath. In my Charlie's case it's always the latter he hates water with a passion but Nibbler she loves the bath and she does it too so the first instance where she's concerned. It would be very interesting to know what everybody else thinks ;)

Noella

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
How do I know if the water is to cold or to warm? I've noticed that Rango breaths hard when in the water, is that natrual?

Mine breathes that way too. I always believed it normal and associated it with sucking up water through their vents. (Deep breathing.) :)

dbarks88

Bearded Dragon Egg
Mine hates it, she's always trying to get out so I only manage 5 mins before I feel bad and take her out!

Latest posts