1. Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Discussion in 'Bearded Dragon Diet' started by Jill and chili, Oct 28, 2019.

1. Jill and chili

Jill and chili Bearded Dragon Egg

I know sweet potatoes are safe, but could they eat the vine and leaves too??
  2. kaylynangel

kaylynangel Bearded Dragon Veteran 1,000+ Post Club

I did a google search and no where on there it says they can or cannot eat them - I feed mine raw shredded sweet potato once in a while --- that is good for hydration and its supposed to keep them regular--- I am not sure if they can eat the leaves but I can find out if you like
  3. Jill and chili

If you can find out I’d be very appreciative. I’m admin-ing for a bd care group on fb and we are all at a loss.
  4. kaylynangel

Yes I have gone to another forum to ask --- I dont see why your couldnt but I want to find out for sure --- I dont want you to feed something that is not safe---- I will get back w / you on that
    Jill and chili likes this.
  5. Jill and chili

Someone else commented that they are a “do not feed” for tortoises. They’re part of the nightshade family- highly oxtcalic-binds calcium.
    JumpinJellyfish likes this.
  6. kaylynangel

I do not have any info on tortoises---------------- you can however go to this forum for that question as well -- www.beardeddragon.org---- scroll to bottom of the boards and look for "other reptiles" some one on there can answer that question
    here is the response I got from someone doing research on it for themselves

I would say no. If you look up info for dogs and cats most sources I have ever seen say the leaves and vines are toxic. Humans can eat the leaves and vines of sweet potato plants (edit at your own risk apparently from what I have read)

I've been looking this plant up because I was thinking of planting it for me. The seeds and any green part of the plant contain solanine which is the toxic element.
  7. Jill and chili

I didn’t mean to be confusing, I am asking for a bearded dragon, someone just had the tortoise info. Thank you so much for looking into that for us. I’ll go tell her right now <3
  8. kaylynangel

Yep I knew you meant for the dragon --- so no I would not feed the leaves or vine to the dragon