• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Swallowing/hiccups?

Lemonpie

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
I took Kratos out 2 hours after I fed him and he was all cozy. Then after having him out for 20 minutes I went to put him back and he started doing this swallowing type motion with his throat. It wasn't a big gulping motion but a small one that almost looked like he might be hiccuping. He has never done this before and it went on for about 2 minutes and didn't seem to bother him any. Do bearded dragons get the hiccups? Does anyone know what this strange little swallowing motion is from?

Chris Baez Jr.

Juvenile Dragon
He was probably trying to tell you something. He might not had wanted to be picked up at the moment, or maybe the surface he was on was too hot. I very much doubt there was anything wrong with him. It sounds as though he was trying to show his beard.

Aleena

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
They're capable of making noise, they just usually don't. Maybe just stretching the vocal chords... just an idea.

Lemonpie

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
Thanks! I don't think it was anything serious. Can they really make noise? I've never heard mine make any noise aside from scratching noises with his nails.

Mungi's Buddha

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
Absolutely they can make noise...lol...wait until the first time your's really wakes up on the wrong side of perch or is extra agitated with a shed and you reach to pick it up..Mungi doesn't do it often but he has black bearded all the way down to his chest before, bounced up and down on his front legs and given me the rather funny rapid fire staccato hiss thing...have heard him make a little squeaky sound before when he is napping with his eyes open and I inadvertently spooked him by opening his enclosure...and when I was having to syringe feed him while he was sick and the meds had his stomach so upset I heard him make a rather pitiful grunt groan noise a few times and then he would squeeze his eyes shut tight.
I have a feeling they are probably capable of being very vocal but as has been already posted choose not to be:)
Enjoy

Lemonpie

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
So the gulping has continued but he only does it when you go up to the enclosure and say hello and make eye contact. I think its definitely some type of communication. I just wish I knew what he was telling me. He usually gives me a little gulp and when he sees my boyfriend he gulps big.

LittleMerlin

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
It sounds a lot like the stress/dominant thing. Jethro did that once or twice but only when I ran the vacuum cleaner. He hasn't done it since then, but it was weird to watch it, lol. He puffed up and did this dance thing when I ran the vacuum cleaner and it made me laugh. I was like "Jethro, it's not gonna eat you". He looked at me like "Yea right, I'll be sleeping with one eye open tonight". XD

Lemonpie

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
It sounds a lot like the stress/dominant thing. Jethro did that once or twice but only when I ran the vacuum cleaner. He hasn't done it since then, but it was weird to watch it, lol. He puffed up and did this dance thing when I ran the vacuum cleaner and it made me laugh. I was like "Jethro, it's not gonna eat you".He looked at me like "Yea right, I'll be sleeping with one eye open tonight". XD

He doesn't puff at all or anything! He just looks pensive as usual. lol. beardies are soo silly! If i owned a vaccuum i'm sure Kratos wouldn't be too happy!

Latest posts