• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

SUPPLEMENT HELP

sarie

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hey
I recently got a beardie. He is around a month old. I have a t5 high output linear 10.0 uvb light on the top of his cage. I’m not sure the best way to supplement. I give him repcal herptivite on tuesdays and thursdays (twice a week). I also give him calcium with d3 on mondays, wednesdays, and fridays (three times a week). I read that calcium without d3 should be provided for a baby almost everyday. I usually just give him calcium without d3 on tuesdays, thursdays, and saturdays.

Is it necessary to provide him with both calcium without d3 and calcium with d3 on the days I give him calcium with d3? I find it weird that I would give him both on the same day if there is already calcium in the calcium with d3.

Also, I read that supplementing with vitamins and calcium together is bad. What are the adverse effects of mixing the multivitamins with the calcium?

Lastly, my beardie is very small and very young. He will only eat dubias so far. I’ve offered black soldier fly larvae, small hornworms, and crickets, but he seems interested in the dubias only. He also will not touch any leafy greens like romaine, kale, spinach, etc. He won’t try strawberries or blueberries either. He is so young so I am not super concerned, but what is the best way to incorporate veggies? I also have an escape proof food bowl where his dubias go in but he refuses to eat from it. He prefers for me to take a bug out of the bowl, place it near him, and chase after it. Is this normal behavior, and how can I get him used to the bowl?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Skybug

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
Welcome to the forum :) congrats on ur new lil lizard, to answer a few questions, They’re very movement motivated when feeding, leave them in the bowel, when hes hungry he’ll eat, now for supplements,…… In my opinion, and in my experience with raising my two year old dragon, ive been giving her calcium d3 for all this time but just recently switched to one without. I recommend that, i dont wanna explain the whole process of d3, but basically, if ur uvb is bad/lacking, the d3 helps Synthesize the calcium into ur beardy by way of heat, thats been my understanding, its very very important that a baby get enough calcium, or else MBD,…..and about mixing the vitamins together its NOT recommended because they are “Specially formulated” and adding to them may throw the whole thing out of balance(once again my understanding idk how accurate) ive attached some pics of things i use, bee pollen is good for giving extra vitamins and it has a buggy smell and may help in getting ur beardy to eat veggies. If you have any questions please do ask :)

Attachments

• AC544C2F-978C-4465-BF2A-21BFC558B8EE.jpeg
    AC544C2F-978C-4465-BF2A-21BFC558B8EE.jpeg
    3.2 MB · Views: 1
  • A74E6066-B7DA-4C7C-9B5B-DECCAABC0BF8.jpeg
    A74E6066-B7DA-4C7C-9B5B-DECCAABC0BF8.jpeg
    574 KB · Views: 1
  • E0CE3F64-81A5-42DA-B929-AEBFFDA045A1.jpeg
    E0CE3F64-81A5-42DA-B929-AEBFFDA045A1.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 1
  • 61E53ADC-130E-4151-9783-239108998256.jpeg
    61E53ADC-130E-4151-9783-239108998256.jpeg
    5 MB · Views: 1
  • AF776491-C0AA-4BCA-B1C8-6DF3A75036AE.jpeg
    AF776491-C0AA-4BCA-B1C8-6DF3A75036AE.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 1

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Hey
I recently got a beardie. He is around a month old. I have a t5 high output linear 10.0 uvb light on the top of his cage. I’m not sure the best way to supplement. I give him repcal herptivite on tuesdays and thursdays (twice a week). I also give him calcium with d3 on mondays, wednesdays, and fridays (three times a week). I read that calcium without d3 should be provided for a baby almost everyday. I usually just give him calcium without d3 on tuesdays, thursdays, and saturdays.

Is it necessary to provide him with both calcium without d3 and calcium with d3 on the days I give him calcium with d3? I find it weird that I would give him both on the same day if there is already calcium in the calcium with d3.

Also, I read that supplementing with vitamins and calcium together is bad. What are the adverse effects of mixing the multivitamins with the calcium?

Lastly, my beardie is very small and very young. He will only eat dubias so far. I’ve offered black soldier fly larvae, small hornworms, and crickets, but he seems interested in the dubias only. He also will not touch any leafy greens like romaine, kale, spinach, etc. He won’t try strawberries or blueberries either. He is so young so I am not super concerned, but what is the best way to incorporate veggies? I also have an escape proof food bowl where his dubias go in but he refuses to eat from it. He prefers for me to take a bug out of the bowl, place it near him, and chase after it. Is this normal behavior, and how can I get him used to the bowl?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Add the BSFL on top of his salads -- http://www.beautifuldragons.com/Nutrition.html ignore the kale thing its a good staple feeder -- your baby needs salads every day w/ insects 2-3 times per day --- dust the insects ONCE per feeding w/ calcium D3 5 x per week and vitamins w/ beta carotene ONCE per feeding 2 x per week --- your UVB is a good on make sure its correctly placed --- it can sit on top of the screen but it MUST BE A WIDE HOLE screen if its a fine mesh it needs to be INSIDE THE TANK --- distance on top of screen 8-10 inches w /the basking decor directly below it --- inside the tank 12-15 inches w / basking decor directly below -- yes for him to chase the bugs in normal --- when you add the BSFL do it in front of him feed him a few to start hand taming him--- hes pretty little - feed as many as you want of those DO NOT dust them -- its good your supplementing him w / the dubias dust them of course and add them to the bowl in front of him - he should be eating around 10-15 of them and make sure your feeding the insect no bigger than the space between his eyes length wise -- you dont want him impacted --- I can post websites for you if you need them for worms / insects etc -- its better to get started w/ dubias now in a 10 gallon aquarium feeding them dubia food / water pellets / crystals along w / food you feed the dragon --- you dont want to rely on petstores over the winter they are unreliable

sarie

Bearded Dragon Egg
Add the BSFL on top of his salads -- http://www.beautifuldragons.com/Nutrition.html ignore the kale thing its a good staple feeder -- your baby needs salads every day w/ insects 2-3 times per day --- dust the insects ONCE per feeding w/ calcium D3 5 x per week and vitamins w/ beta carotene ONCE per feeding 2 x per week --- your UVB is a good on make sure its correctly placed --- it can sit on top of the screen but it MUST BE A WIDE HOLE screen if its a fine mesh it needs to be INSIDE THE TANK --- distance on top of screen 8-10 inches w /the basking decor directly below it --- inside the tank 12-15 inches w / basking decor directly below -- yes for him to chase the bugs in normal --- when you add the BSFL do it in front of him feed him a few to start hand taming him--- hes pretty little - feed as many as you want of those DO NOT dust them -- its good your supplementing him w / the dubias dust them of course and add them to the bowl in front of him - he should be eating around 10-15 of them and make sure your feeding the insect no bigger than the space between his eyes length wise -- you dont want him impacted --- I can post websites for you if you need them for worms / insects etc -- its better to get started w/ dubias now in a 10 gallon aquarium feeding them dubia food / water pellets / crystals along w / food you feed the dragon --- you dont want to rely on petstores over the winter they are unreliable
thanks so much you’ve been a great help.

Is calcium without d3 even necessary then if I’m going to give him calcium with d3 five times a week?

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
thanks so much you’ve been a great help.

Is calcium without d3 even necessary then if I’m going to give him calcium with d3 five times a week?
Only the D3 for now till hes a year old then you can cut back on the D3 and give w/ out D3 w/ NO phosphorus like 3 days a week or so -- but for now he needs the D3 --- the UVB plays a huge role in the calcium

Latest posts