• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Superworms for babies?

beardie_love

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
I was wondering if you can give superworms to babies? I know of not feeding them mealies, but I haven't heard much about super's. I was looking on this ad of someone selling baby beardies (these babies were tiny!), and the ad stated that they are eating superworms. Superworms are huuuuuuge though! Or unless there are different sizes? ???

crypticdragons

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
hypothetically if the breeder is breeding his own supers then he would have ample "small" supers to feed his babies. Though they should deffinately not be the only staple in the diet.

ladyknite

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Madisyn-Alexis said:
No superworms until the dragon is at least 16 inches. ;)

there are actual dragons that max out at 16 inches.

I think the biggest question to ask here, is how old is the baby in question. Under 6 weeks..........not a good idea. Over 6 weeks.........debateable and considered acceptable within size, as mentioned in Tom's post.

lexi

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
ladyknite said:
Madisyn-Alexis said:
No superworms until the dragon is at least 16 inches. ;)

there are actual dragons that max out at 16 inches.

I know. I've got one ;) Our 4 month old male is bigger than our 3 year old female. The breeder was giving him supers at a very young age (no idea on the size of the worms or whether she was breeding them) but I've always heard 16 inches to be on the safe side. I've also never seen anything but the huge ones in the store, so I have to assume that those are the supers someone new to caring for dragons would be referring to.

ladyknite

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Most suppliers of supers sell off the adult population and the younger population rejuvenates the egg laying bins. That would mean that the majority of supers sold like to pet stores are medium to large.
Unfortunately, they're not always so easily accessable.

beardie_love

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Sounds good! I can't wait to get my babies off crickets lol they're so messy and smelly! But they have about another 6" to go :D

corrine

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Ever consider dubia roaches? I know they sound gross but they are actually soo much better to keep than crickets. They don't smell or make noise. Thier bin only needs to be cleaned every couple of months and they're better for your dragons. Mine love them.

zebraflavencs

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
B_L... you are in canada right ?
If I remember correctly you might have a difficult time finding them, but dubias are up there.. just hard to find.
Hope this helps out.. I'll do some snooping around and see if I can locate a source.
Janie

Latest posts