• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

superworms dieing off

corrine

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
I only buy about 50 at a time. I keep them in a plastic container with holes punched through the top. They are kept in dry oatmeal bedding. I put a fresh piece of collards in with them for moisture. They seem to die rather quickly about 2 days or so after I buy them. Is this thier normal life span? If not, what am I doing wrong?

zebraflavencs

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Corrine.. are you seeing any clumping of the oats ? Particularly under where the veggies are...

corrine

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
not that I've noticed. The worms all like to gather up in the greens and eat through them.

corrine

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
nope i've only been putting in greens. I'm guessing that's my problem then.

northface75

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
I buy supers about 50 at a time, and I dont give them a damn thing and they last for weeks lol.

Vesta

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
I just changed mine today from oats to alfalfa. My Grandson had bought it at the recommendation at the pet store for bedding. But I would never use it for that. I had bought 1000 supers and noticed that some had been dying and it stank. I have tried to use the oats for breeding supers as well and did not feel they worked as well as the bran so I will never use it again. Maybe next time you can buy a cheap brand of bran flakes and see if that works better for you.

I throw potatoes in with mine and the stems from my collards and any leftover salad I might have that I dont feel are good enough for my Beardies to eat. Or that they don't eat.

Vesta

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
No. I wouldn't use the raisins. At least I didn't. Maybe someone will come on and say differently. ;)

northface75

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
I think craiger said he uses potato flakes as a substrate for his supers, course that was breeding.

Latest posts