• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Supers and wax worms?

corrine

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Are supers and wax worms good staples or better as a treat? Yoyo had his first waxworms today and really enjoyed them. Princess loves supers. They seem easier to keep alive than crix so are they ok to feed her every other day? As far as wax worms I got this off of beautiful dragon " Wax worms have a soft exoskeleton making them very nutritious, easily digested, a great source of protein, moisture, and beardies love them! I recommend wax worms over mealworms and superworms." I always thought that wax worms were very fatty.

crypticdragons

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
wax worms are considered and used as a treat worm. to my understanding superworms work fine as a staple but you need to make sure the dragon is old enough and long enough to feed them too and that your heating is perfect as their exoskeleton is quite difficult to digest.
Best staple insects are silkworms, hornworms, a variety of roaches, and crix.

corrine

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Princess is 16 inches long and about 20 months old. Her basking temp is 101.6. I'll switch it up between supers and crix tho. Supers today crix on Friday. Thanks

ladyknite

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
AS with any feeding routine, varying prey is best. Supers are high in phosphorus, which you need to account for. Generally by dusting your supers you can achieve this pretty easy.
Princess is big enough to have supers. Definately old enough. Will she bask at any higher temps? Some dragons won't, so i thought i'd ask.

corrine

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
I don't know if she will bask at higher temps. I've always kept it at 101 ish for her. Can/should I increase her basking temp? I thought adults needed it a little cooler than babies. She does really love the supers tho. My 3 yr old was holding the bag with the supers in it and Princess charged right for it when I opened her door. It was funny.

beardielover17

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
you can definitely raise the temps...ive had adults who liked it from 105 all the way to 113/114...if anything try to give a gradient of temps to choose from

also a little tip...make sure that your dragons stay well hydrated when you bump temps up over 110

Latest posts