• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Supers and mealies

beardie_love

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Why is it that superworms and mealworms look the same? I don't know how to word the question I want to say, but how are they all that different from each other?

??? ??? ???

Pogie

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
LOL,

Yeah Ive thought that myself too.

What Ive read is that supers are a different specie worm, their shells dont contain that much chittin (The undigestable part) so beardies can digest them better. So they dont get impacted from the supers

But thats all I can add. Hoping somebody else can chime in and give some more detailed answers.

ladyknite

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Superworms are Zophobas morio and mealworms belong to Tenebrio molitor. Both are specie of the darkling beetle, just different.
Giant mealworms, king worms and other larger forms of meal worms are typically considered pests and chemically treated so they don't reproduce. This doesn't prevent them from being marketed however as reptile food.

regular mealworms are small and hold very little meat to shell ratio compared to that of a superworm.
Mealworm chitin is also tougher than superworm chitin.

ladyknite

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Oh...........doh..............the most obvious difference............
mealies go dormant in the fridge. Supers die.

corrine

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Why is it that mealies are a good staple for geckos and not for dragons?

TheVirus

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Temps and humidity. Leos are kept closer to their max desired basking temp and they are offered humid hides. Makes digestion easier.

Also mealies are too small for adult dragons.

crypticdragons

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
ladyknite said:
Superworms are Zophobas morio and mealworms belong to Tenebrio molitor. Both are specie of the darkling beetle, just different.
Giant mealworms, king worms and other larger forms of meal worms are typically considered pests and chemically treated so they don't reproduce. This doesn't prevent them from being marketed however as reptile food.

regular mealworms are small and hold very little meat to shell ratio compared to that of a superworm.
Mealworm chitin is also tougher than superworm chitin.

I was under the impression that a King worm was just another name for a Super worm??

ladyknite

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
kings are supposed to be labeled as bait tackle, not reptile food because of the chemical treatment.
Essentially they are the same worm, one is treated one is not.

Latest posts