• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

sun glo?

Pancake

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
I was getting a basking light and the girl told me to get the reptiglo 10.0... I couldnt remember which one was not good... and the pamplet said bearded dragons needed this light... The other one I belive is called a sunglo 150W.... Is this one ok?

corrine

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
for a basking light you can use a regular household bulb. The wattage will vary depending on viv size and temps in your home. You will also need a uvb light. The most recommeded one is the ReptiSun 10.0 tube. The fancy basking lights sold at pet stores are over priced and the regular ones do the same thing.

zebraflavencs

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Agreed !
I have used flood lights, as well as house hold light bulbs for heating depending on the time of year, and my house's ambient temps.
Janie

Pancake

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Ok, I whoops'd in my terminology... I need a uvb light... not a basking light. we have one of those already.. so I should be looking for a reptisun 10.0... Is there a uvb light that is a bulb? I have a fixture for a bulb already so it would be nice to not have to buy something else

zebraflavencs

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
No you'll really want the tube. The bulbs just don't do what is needed, and often cause health issues.
Hope that helps out !
Janie
I have gone to Walmart and gotten 2' under cabinet flo fixtures by Lights Of America. I use 2 currently for uvb and extra lighting.

Pancake

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Ok, so I am looking for a tube light fixture, and a sunglo 10.0... We only have walmart, total pet and pet cetra here...so I am limited.... Pancake doesnt have anything yet, so I need to do this asap... mind you, we had a good "tan" yesterday on the deck together lol

zebraflavencs

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
NO the sunglo is a basking light.. the Reptisun 10.0 is the uvb you need.
Hope that helps out !
Janie

Pancake

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
lol...sorry... I knew what you meant... and read it too...just didnt type out correct... Blonde moment.. ;)

Pancake

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
yep... me too... I cant even blame it on dye seeping into my brain... fully natural dumbness once in a while lol!.

renich

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I know the ReptiSun 10.0 is hard to find in stores around me. Here's a link to the site's store.
ReptiSun 10.0

We are affiliated with Pet Mountain. It will help support the site if you need to order online.

Craiger

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Pancake said:
yep... me too... I cant even blame it on dye seeping into my brain... fully natural dumbness once in a while lol!.

Umm....I usually say something like "isn't she pretty?" when I hear my wife or one of my daughters do this. LOL!

Pancake

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Renee, If I order a light from the website link you gave me, how are they with shipping to canada? British Columbia specifically, and broken bulbs? I do have an address down in Washington I can use if shipping is too much to canada... ... assuming you are in the US... I didnt look... lol

Stephanie is a Rockstar

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
you have to be careful on what one you get. I can't remember the brand (limited internet access at work, I can't shop!), but we bought in on a whim and the skin around Lola's eyes and ears started to peel off. She wouldn't open her eyes and she didn't eat. This went on for a week before we figured out that the light was the issue. As soon as we took the light out and got a different one, she started to open her eyes and eat again.

Pancake

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
my local pet store may be able to get me a repti sun 10.0 they are discontinued from his supplier, but he thinks he may still be able to get one if they have a few in stock... if the price diff is huge, I will order off the link Renee gave me and have it shipped to my US address...

Craiger

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Stephanie is a Rockstar said:
you have to be careful on what one you get. I can't remember the brand (limited internet access at work, I can't shop!), but we bought in on a whim and the skin around Lola's eyes and ears started to peel off. She wouldn't open her eyes and she didn't eat. This went on for a week before we figured out that the light was the issue. As soon as we took the light out and got a different one, she started to open her eyes and eat again.

The type of light you're referring to is the compact fluorescent UVB bulbs. They've been linked to conjunctivitis in reptiles. Here's a link to some information you might find useful.

http://www.uvguide.co.uk/phototherapyphosphor.htm

Craiger

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Stephanie is a Rockstar said:
no, this was a long tube light that caused the skin peel...

the fixture that we have is about 12" long and holds two short UV lights.

Hmm....that's news to me. Very interested....

renich

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Pancake said:
Renee, If I order a light from the website link you gave me, how are they with shipping to canada? British Columbia specifically, and broken bulbs? I do have an address down in Washington I can use if shipping is too much to canada... ... assuming you are in the US... I didnt look... lol

I'm sorry, I didn't realize that you are in Canada. Pet Mountain only ships within the US at this time.

Latest posts