• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

suitable substrate

Dragondave

Hatchling Dragon
Ok so I uploaded a video of my 2 yr old hand feeding ozzy a locust to a BD page on facebook.rather than commenting on the video I got attacked for having sand as a substrate. So my question is this. What do you guys have or recommend as a floor.

timbalan

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Paper towels is what i use. But you can use reptile carpet tile newspaper or anything the like. Sand and walnut shells or any partical substrate can cause impaction because they can not digest it properly.

ilovebeardies

Juvenile Dragon
Paper towels is what i use. But you can use reptile carpet tile newspaper or anything the like. Sand and walnut shells or any partical substrate can cause impaction because they can not digest it properly.
how do you get the paper towels to lay down and not move all over the place I tried newspaper because I didn't like the walnut shell and I was cleaning my repticarpet way more than I wanted, but my beardies pretty much had newspaper flying all over there Viv so it was pointless. I just went back to carpet :/

timbalan

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Well i do have to fix them a lot but its so easy to clean. Vinnie doesnt really shred them just moves them.And people like slate tile in their viv. I plan on going to tile at some point just havent done it yet

colin

Hatchling Dragon
Ok so I uploaded a video of my 2 yr old hand feeding ozzy a locust to a BD page on facebook.rather than commenting on the video I got attacked for having sand as a substrate. So my question is this. What do you guys have or recommend as a floor.

Until you are able to get suitable substrate try putting a little bowl of calcium powder in the viv....

That way if they lack calcium they will go and take it from the dish rather than the sand substrate, this goes for vitamin powder to.

Although please do not think that this means you can stop dusting their live food it is only there if your beardie is very low calcium or vitamins for what ever reason.

This can also be helpful for female beardies when laying eggs, they are very clever and know if they are low in calcium and will go to the dish if they need to...

I would change to tiles though as soon as possible as that is the cleanest safest substrate, with a little sand Pitt and a basking rock at the end...

Let's face it these animals live in the desert after all lol.

It's just a poor maintained diet that will cause impacting or lack of materials for live food to climb forcing your beardie to eat them from the sand therefore risking the intake of sand when they eat...

Although making sure the balance is right with materials in the viv is very important, you don't want too much where the food can hide and die or so
much that it stresses out the beardie.

I find that if I mist the log when feeding crickets they go to the log for a drink and my beardie picks them from the log.

This is only my personal opinion. There will be others who disagree but in the end of the day it's how you and your beardie react to different methods.

Good luck and please let me know how you get on maybe even a picture of what you have done, would be really cool.

lisa127

Hatchling Dragon
I use newspaper to line my beardies cage floor. I have no problem with it moving around. I use newspaper for my leopard gecko cages as well. I did try paper towel in the gecko cages and that moved all over the place, but the newspaper is fine.

will_him_is

Juvenile Dragon
how do you get the paper towels to lay down and not move all over the place I tried newspaper because I didn't like the walnut shell and I was cleaning my repticarpet way more than I wanted, but my beardies pretty much had newspaper flying all over there Viv so it was pointless. I just went back to carpet :/
I misted the "seams" with a small spray of water. helps it lay flat.

Latest posts