• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Sufficient UVB in setup?

gavinh

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hi,
First post, newbie question. After all the research etc, the family is excited that we are getting a Central Bearded Dragon at the weekend.

I have a setup which includes

* 90cm Reptile One Tank (90x45x60)
* T5 HO 23W Reptisub 10.0 UVB tube in a T5 Pro light Unit
* 50w Heat Emitter
* 100w bulb
* Thermostat

My concern is that the beardie won't get sufficient UVB light. On top of the mesh lid, is it too far away? Are the domes from the light going to block it?

Seeing horror stories about the dragons not getting sufficient light and that leading to problems. I hope I am just over-thinking it

Photos below (I will be removing stuff from the enclosure to make it less busy and give it more space)

1.jpeg

2.jpeg

Thanks in advance

Tricia Ray

Bearded Dragon Egg
the basking temp for a young beardie should be 105 to 110 .Is your substrate sand or a sand liner ?If it is sand it can cause impaction in a beardie .In the wild they live on like a hard clay soil with rocks and downed branches in Australia. They do like to climb.CONGRATULATIONS on getting a beardie they really are enjoyable. They have such great personalities. Red lights can be harmful to their eyes.You can use a ceramic heater . I hope this helped.Tricia

gavinh

Bearded Dragon Egg
Thanks, Tricia. The substrate is a sand mat, I had read about the issues with sand. I live in Australia so I will probably buy locally sourced suitable sand when it is older. Thanks for the advice re: the red lamp, the other one is ceramic so perhaps I will get another to replace that.

My bigger concern is the UVB light tube as mentioned above, is it going to be suitable?

HoomanSlave

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
Sounds like it should be suitable as long as it's in a good fixture and is the correct length.
Personally, I prefer smooth liners (as ugly as they can be) to sand mats, because I have read of an incident or two where the lizard swallowed one of the loose rocks on the mat (and in one case died).

gavinh

Bearded Dragon Egg
Thanks that’s a relief with the light tube. It covers 2/3 of the length and is the same as what is packaged in one of the high end pet stores in Australia, I was concerned about the mesh top and distance.

ill replace the red light.

also good call with the liner I’ll get one

thanks for the great tips. My biggest concern was UVB light, if that’s ok I can tweak based on the other suggestions

gavinh

Bearded Dragon Egg
Essentially the setup is like this except I have domes included and I’m not using sand as discussed

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Essentially the setup is like this except I have domes included and I’m not using sand as discussed

This kit has some better stuff in it than the ones sold here in the states - atleast they are going w/ a really good UVB which is important - but like the states kits being sold its got stuff in it you dont want to use

gavinh

Bearded Dragon Egg
Thanks everyone for the feedback.

I will be upgrading the things it outgrows (including the enclosure and hide etc) before it hits 12 months.

For the UVB, I am going to mount it under the mesh lid I think.

As the pics here (I will be getting something today to mount more securely than the steel cable)

1.jpeg
3.jpeg

tortadon

Bearded Dragon Egg
If you live where they live wild 2 questions pop up. Why buy one. Next is watch the wild guys and observe their way of life. How lucky you can do that.
In the US we often use infrared guns they are cheap at 5 to 7 dollars and you can measure the heat ranges that your set up is providing your new buddy. Also you can watch his favorite hang out spots and check his body temp in about 1 second. This lets you know what he enjoys and gives you the opportunity to design spots that you like and so does he.
Make A harness and take him everywhere with you. On A straw hat or an outback hat they look like they are fake so you can roam stores and everyone will say great hatband. Enjoy your new buddy.

gavinh

Bearded Dragon Egg
If you live where they live wild 2 questions pop up. Why buy one. Next is watch the wild guys and observe their way of life. How lucky you can do that.
In the US we often use infrared guns they are cheap at 5 to 7 dollars and you can measure the heat ranges that your set up is providing your new buddy. Also you can watch his favorite hang out spots and check his body temp in about 1 second. This lets you know what he enjoys and gives you the opportunity to design spots that you like and so does he.
Make A harness and take him everywhere with you. On A straw hat or an outback hat they look like they are fake so you can roam stores and everyone will say great hatband. Enjoy your new buddy.
I live in a city, not an option! (also they are not native in this part of Australia).

Thanks, excited to have him here!

Latest posts