• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

substrate

which substrate do you use

• sand

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • carpet

• tile

• Total voters

li

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I believe most are using ceramic tile. Easy to clean and no chance of impaction.

zebraflavencs

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Big no no, sweety. Contrary to Sales advice, it isn't digestible by dragons. In fact cal sand, has the high possibility to build up and cause problems...

Now, should you decide to go with sand, use washed, and sifted play sand. You'll want your basking temps higher than normal, somewhere in the 120's, with regular cool sides ( around mid 70's) and warm side ( mid 80's).

Also, you'll have to be spot on with your cleaning habits.

Many of us choose to go the easier route, with tiles or other solid substrate.
Hope this helps out !

ladyknite

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I don't believe I'm posting on substrate........lol

It depends on the particular animal as to what substrate i use. For baby anything, I use solid substrates and prefer paper towels and shelf liner. For adult dragons, depending on the dragon, I may stick with the solid substrate, but occasionally I use sand. Sifted washed playsand. I change my tanks often and break them down completely to disinfect them, so the time and effort involved in cleaning isn't an issue for me. Some people like to reuse their sand and just sift out the particles and bake the sand in the oven. Me, well i can't much justify baking poop in any form or fashion, so when the sand comes out, it makes good drainage material in my yard soil and my animals don't have issues from bacteria left behind. there's alot of different substrates out there. Most all of them sold in this industry have some nasty back lashes.

packfan74

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
I use sand BUT I'm a newby and if you've seen my post (Millions of Questions from yesterday), the "experts" are not recommending it. I'll probably switch to something else soon but for now I'm keeping it cuz it really helps anchor the tank features we're using, i.e. rocks, grapevine logs and silk leaves. Plus, it just looks more comfortable for my guy (Henry) when he is sleeping AND he seems to really enjoy digging in it too.

I'm torn.

beardielover17

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
For babies I ALWAYS use newspaper or paper towels but for adults I do what Gina does and choose the substrate according to what the dragon likes. I've used sand and dirt with success and I've used tiles (and still use them for my beardie). Particle substrates are a ton of maintenance but for those who have time they can be worth it. If your dragon likes to dig, keep a small container of playsand in the enclosure while you can supervise and around bed time so they can dig in it and go to sleep if anything.

Red Ink AUS

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
ladyknite said:
I don't believe I'm posting on substrate........lol

LOL me neither, but hey this is the place to do it on ;).

As for the substrate issue, as the others have already said. I'd go with the solid substrate.

Latest posts