• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Substrate

HoomanSlave

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
Non-adhesive shelf liner is an inexpensive, sanitary substrate that you can get in lots of different colors. The drawback is that it doesn't allow for digging, which can lead to glass surfing and even egg binding. Paper towels are also great, but the price can add up quickly and, again, no digging. Tile is one of the best options since it doesn't need to be replaced and is easy to clean, but you'll need to provide plenty of softer areas because it can lead to arthritis. These are all fine for every age beardie.

A mix of sand and unfertilized topsoil with a tile eating area is safe because it doesn't clump (so the impaction risk is quite low), it's soft, and is great for beardies to dig in. It won't stain, cut, or otherwise harm a beardie, and it's very similar to what they have in the wild. It's one of the best substrates to use for adults.

Crossingtami

Bearded Dragon Egg
Non-adhesive shelf liner is an inexpensive, sanitary substrate that you can get in lots of different colors. The drawback is that it doesn't allow for digging, which can lead to glass surfing and even egg binding. Paper towels are also great, but the price can add up quickly and, again, no digging. Tile is one of the best options since it doesn't need to be replaced and is easy to clean, but you'll need to provide plenty of softer areas because it can lead to arthritis. These are all fine for every age beardie.

A mix of sand and unfertilized topsoil with a tile eating area is safe because it doesn't clump (so the impaction risk is quite low), it's soft, and is great for beardies to dig in. It won't stain, cut, or otherwise harm a beardie, and it's very similar to what they have in the wild. It's one of the best substrates to use for adults.
Can I use reptisoil in place of the topsoil?

Skybug

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
I happen to have a bag from reporting plants in my cham enclosure
I use a mix, i use clay balls for drainage layer, i use black felt to separate the balls from my top mix. In the top mix i have cocofiber, reptisoil, spagnum moss, bark chips(i don’t recommend these , they can cause compaction) and some river stones my beardie cant swallow, i do have it bio active so it does have bugs in the tank aswell.

BeardieMum❤️

Juvenile Dragon
Hi, I am trying to decide on a substrate and wanted the most natural easy to clean option. I was thinking tiles, custom made background with polystyrene expanding foam grout and sealant. I would have really like to have sand topsoil mix but how would you keep this clean? I was steering more towards a sand/top soil dig box instead but if it would be more beneficial to the beardie to hve the whole enclosure like that then I would rather do that. It’s just the cleaning info I have come across says to remove it all, wash it through with bleach and then bake in oven every month, this seems crazy when you have an option like tile and a smaller dig box to just Chuck out and redo!

Skybug

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
Hi, I am trying to decide on a substrate and wanted the most natural easy to clean option. I was thinking tiles, custom made background with polystyrene expanding foam grout and sealant. I would have really like to have sand topsoil mix but how would you keep this clean? I was steering more towards a sand/top soil dig box instead but if it would be more beneficial to the beardie to hve the whole enclosure like that then I would rather do that. It’s just the cleaning info I have come across says to remove it all, wash it through with bleach and then bake in oven every month, this seems crazy when you have an option like tile and a smaller dig box to just Chuck out and redo!
Ud clean it just like cat litter, take out anything that looks soiled, it really depends on the beardie and how well you clean, (people say use bleach and bake it because lots of beardies have parasites) you dont want their home to be a breeding ground for filth, this is my current setup, and my beardie poops on the sand 70% of the time, tile for a baby is the best, but it can give them joint issues in the long run (why i went bioactive, drainage layer on bottom, soil , then bark chips on top, with 3 different kinds of bugs to eat any poo i miss, spring tails, pincher bugs, and super worms) its best you start out as sterile as possible, i still recommend tile, once you’ve had ur baby for a couple months and theres no signs of bad health, then it can be safe to add soil, but dont start out with it.

Attachments

• DA2C310B-EBEF-4CDD-9490-72360F6B0EAA.jpeg
    DA2C310B-EBEF-4CDD-9490-72360F6B0EAA.jpeg
    5 MB · Views: 51

BeardieMum❤️

Juvenile Dragon
Ud clean it just like cat litter, take out anything that looks soiled, it really depends on the beardie and how well you clean, (people say use bleach and bake it because lots of beardies have parasites) you dont want their home to be a breeding ground for filth, this is my current setup, and my beardie poops on the sand 70% of the time, tile for a baby is the best, but it can give them joint issues in the long run (why i went bioactive, drainage layer on bottom, soil , then bark chips on top, with 3 different kinds of bugs to eat any poo i miss, spring tails, pincher bugs, and super worms) its best you start out as sterile as possible, i still recommend tile, once you’ve had ur baby for a couple months and theres no signs of bad health, then it can be safe to add soil, but dont start out with it.
Thank you, that makes sense and I guess I can just add the sand/topsoil over the tiles when the time is right. Love your beardie ❤️ He looks like a happy chappie.

BeardieMum❤️

Juvenile Dragon

Skybug

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
I was looking into that and read stories that it grows mould, I will be interested to see what the opinion about it is on this forum. Thanks for the suggestion.
Thats whats in my enclosure in the front left , in that picture, no it doesn’t grow mold, the people who report that contaminated their clay somehow, it makes for a great abrasive surface, highly recommend.

Skybug

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
Has anyone used the excavator clay? It was recommended on one of the blogs I read
Its wonderful! , you have to make the den yourself though (it hardens after 24-48hrs) , and get one bag extra, it shrinks once water is added to it and after it dries.

BeardieMum❤️

Juvenile Dragon
Ok that’s fantastic, I looked into the excavator clay as that was what I thought looked better but when I read about the mould I wrote it off! Great to get the correct info. So how often would the whole lot have to be changed out?

Skybug

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
Ok that’s fantastic, I looked into the excavator clay as that was what I thought looked better but when I read about the mould I wrote it off! Great to get the correct info. So how often would the whole lot have to be changed out?
If you’re doing the whole floor , it will be harder to keep clean, I recommend doing what i did , and possibly do half the enclosure with it and the other half some type of litter (bark chips, sand, repti soil) you want the spot he poops to be easy to clean, when my beardie does poop on the clay, i just get a rock and scrape it off then i scrape down the clay about 1-4 of an inch, then i vacuum all the dust. The moisture from the poo stayes on the surface and doesn’t penetrate. :)

Latest posts