1. Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Discussion in 'Bearded Dragon Enclosures' started by SketchyMom, Aug 1, 2019.

1. SketchyMom

SketchyMom Bearded Dragon Egg

I've been trying to figure out the best substrate for Sketchy to be able to dig. I thought I found it with walnut shells but just before buying a bag I read that thats a big no-no. I'm feeling like anything I put in her enclosure comes with a risk of impaction when I feed her Dubias or crickets. Looking for any suggestions on a diggable substrate just for a section of her cage around and under her hut. I'm keeping tile throughout the rest of the enclosure.
  2. kaylynangel

kaylynangel Juvenile Dragon

I am thinking of calci sand --- look that up or I can ask on a another forum if you want me to-- also I looked it up called vita sand
    kaylyn
  3. Roo’s Mom

Roo’s Mom Bearded Dragon Egg

I’ve heard not to use sand because they eat it and it stays in their belly, eventually their belly will start feeling like a sandbag, I’ve also heard that it cans bind them up so they can’t poop. Just what I’ve heard from looking at a lot of different sites.
  4. SketchyMom

I looked into calcisand. It seems like everything you look at has a horror story attached to it. Its time for a check up anyway- we'll see what the vet thinks too.
    What about egg laying boxes? I'll look into what people use in those.
  5. SketchyMom

Yea.. That won't work. Dont rip me apart
  6. kaylynangel

kaylynangel Juvenile Dragon

Popular digging box substrates include play sand, a topsoil/sand mix, alfalfa pellets, and millet seed.

KAYLYN