• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Stud fee and precautions?

milo0

Hatchling Dragon
So a guy that has been one of my dubia customers asked me if I would be interested in having my male citrus leather back pair up with his female leather back. Now, I had been wanting to breed him for a while now but I just don't have the space for another enclosure, so this actually sounds like a good idea. However, I'm not one to jump into something without feeling 100% comfortable, and never actually considered going down this route. It just kind of presented itself.

I know this guy loves and cares for his reptiles really well, so I would feel safe knowing he would take care of them. He's bred them before too and pretty much is in the middle of starting his own line. I just want to know some tips and warnings before I go ahead and agree to this, as well as seeing if I should charge anything for letting him use my male? I don't want to come across greedy or rude, but I've read that's what most people do... is charge a stud fee or ask for the best pick of the clutch. I can't get another beardie though, so I'd mainly be looking at the fee.

And last... what precautions should I take before letting him breed? I was going to get him tested for parasites and request the same for the female to make sure they're both in good health before anything. Are there any other things I should consider or know?

Josh

Administrator
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Before you let your dragon go on loan for breeding, make sure you have a written agreement so both sides are clear on all expectations. As for a fee, I don't think it's unreasonable to ask, though I'm not sure what amount you should ask for. Others might be able to chime in on that. He also may only be open to giving you a baby from the clutch, after successful breeding. Either way, just approach the situation with clear expectations and make sure you communicate everything to the other party. Don't leave anything up for assumption. I think pre-testing at your vet is a great idea. Make sure both dragons are in tip-top shape. Keep us updated on how things turn out! :) :bd:

milo0

Hatchling Dragon
Yeah, I'm making sure the female isn't too small or large for him since Milo is a pretty big boy. I just don't know how to ask the question... I'm shy when it comes to this and feel bad for asking "So, what would we get on our end"? Because in the end, he will be raising them himself, so all the work will be on him. But still, I'll be taking mine to the vet to make sure he's even ready for this, so I don't want nothing, ya know? Vet's here for a check up are pretty expensive too, so I'd want that covered.

Josh

Administrator
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Well, start with what you just described...
"Before I lend Milo out for breeding, he'll need a vet checkup to make sure he's in good health. I know other arrangements usually give the stud owner their pick of the clutch OR some kind of stud fee. I don't currently have the resources to raise another beardie, would you be opposed to putting up a fee to at least cover my expenses for lending Milo out?"
Don't be shy about asking for what you expect out of the deal. If you don't speak up beforehand, you will only end up disappointed...

milo0

Hatchling Dragon
Okay, I just messaged him basically what you said! He actually offered me first pick, but I'll have to see if I can somehow make that possible. I'm leaving for college in a year, and will most likely have to leave him behind with my parents for the first year until I can afford an apartment. On top of this, I already have a few aquariums haha. My parents are afraid I will blow the circuit if I keep adding animals. :p Though it would be amazing to pick out the first one...

Latest posts