• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Stuck shed around eye

ants337

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hi all

I recently rehomed my guy Brian, so haven't got much information on him.
Anyways noticed his left eye was a little weepy and a little gunky.
It looks like there might be a tiny amount of skin around the eye, i just checked and it seemed he had closed it and was eye bulging i assume to try and clear it, question is what the best way to help him out (wiping,bathing,drops??) and could it merit a trip to the vet due to the little bit of gunk?
Cheers

Attachments

• 20230930_194831.jpg
    20230930_194831.jpg
    7 MB · Views: 13

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Hi all

I recently rehomed my guy Brian, so haven't got much information on him.
Anyways noticed his left eye was a little weepy and a little gunky.
It looks like there might be a tiny amount of skin around the eye, i just checked and it seemed he had closed it and was eye bulging i assume to try and clear it, question is what the best way to help him out (wiping,bathing,drops??) and could it merit a trip to the vet due to the little bit of gunk?
Cheers
Could be shed they will bulge the eye for shedding- the gunk could be a bulb irritation - what kind of basking bulb are you using? Any colored bulbs - what about your uvb? Is it a coil?

ants337

Bearded Dragon Egg
Could be shed they will bulge the eye for shedding- the gunk could be a bulb irritation - what kind of basking bulb are you using? Any colored bulbs - what about your uvb? Is it a coil?
It's a 12% arcadia T5 I've got an LED light in there which is the exact same colour as the UV lamp...but I've only had him 3 days and I think he came.with his eye issue

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
It's a 12% arcadia T5 I've got an LED light in there which is the exact same colour as the UV lamp...but I've only had him 3 days and I think he came.with his eye issue
Ok so his appetite is going to be off w/ relocation stress but you want those surface basking temps on par 95-100 taken w/ a digital probe thermometer- --- what is the brand of the basking bulb--- No colored No daytime bulbs - you want a clear solid bright white bulb --- examples are Flukers basking -- Exo Terra Intense or a Arcadia Halogen --- where is the UVB top of screen or inside the tank? Your screen will determine where that UVB is placed and distanced

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
You can get some regular saline solution and rinse the eye -- what kind of substrate is he on? I want to rule out the lighting issue to determine if its indeed shed --- the gunk part I wasnt thrilled to hear so that is why I am asking all the questions

ants337

Bearded Dragon Egg
Ok so his appetite is going to be off w/ relocation stress but you want those surface basking temps on par 95-100 taken w/ a digital probe thermometer- --- what is the brand of the basking bulb--- No colored No daytime bulbs - you want a clear solid bright white bulb --- examples are Flukers basking -- Exo Terra Intense or a Arcadia Halogen --- where is the UVB top of screen or inside the tank? Your screen will determine where that UVB is placed and distanced
To be honest his appetite has been really good, eating his greens and bugs so no issue there. Basking temps are around 96-102 taken with a I/R gun and probe. Uvb is inside the viv.
My main concern is his eye looks a little gunky and occasionally closed so if there's anything I can do or if a vet needs to check it out

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
To be honest his appetite has been really good, eating his greens and bugs so no issue there. Basking temps are around 96-102 taken with a I/R gun and probe. Uvb is inside the viv.
My main concern is his eye looks a little gunky and occasionally closed so if there's anything I can do or if a vet needs to check it out
Try washing it out w/ the saline and see if that helps - if your using any kind of colored bulbs or yellowish or off white or daytime bulbs please get rid of them and get what I posted --- if your using sand for a substrate or any kind of loose substrate that could be the cause for the gunk - they will swell w/ shed and bulge but the gunk is not normal - that is usually related to bulbs your Arcadia should be 12-15 inches directly above the basking decor-- you can try thining out some raw unfiltered honey w/ water and dab on the eye w/ a Q tip that will kill any infection going on but first rinse w/ the saline NO contact lens stuff regular saline

Latest posts